SubZero_Wolf Expert
SubZero_Wolf Expert, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Licensed Appliance Journeyman
46655473

MY SHARP CAROUSEL M/W WILL NOT HEAT ANYTHING UP. ALL SEEMS

MY SHARP CAROUSEL M/W WILL NOT HEAT ANYTHING UP. ALL SEEMS TO BE WORKING BUT NO COOKING HAPPENING ! ANY IDEAS... ALL WAS OK UNTIL I MOVED THE UNIT TO CLEAN
Hello, I can help you with this. Does the turntable turn? If not then you have an issue with the door switch. If no then there is a failure of the transformer or magnetron. Let me know and we can diagnose it further. thanks, Sam
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Yep, turntable turns , light comes on, fan starts but no heating

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX me that all the switches are ok, which is a common problem with these machines. Do you hear any odd noises when its on? Do you hear the normal soft humm that starts after 7 seconds on use?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
There is a hum when it starts . No other odd noises....all seems normal
The humm is the sound of the power transformer. That is ok. You need to replace the magnetron (microwave antennae). This is a more common part to fail. It does require a high level of tech ability though. If you can provide me with the model number I can give you the correct part number but microwave high voltage parts (parts after the transformer) can easily kill you if you are not skilled. Let me know if you would like the part number.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks.. is the cost of the part and labour likely to make the repair un economic?

The part is around 65$ and a repair man would charge around 200$ depending on where you live. The units are pretty cheap new so it might be time for a new one. Thanks