John, restaurant equipment technician
Experience:  25+ years experience. I'm now employed by a commercial cooking equipment service company

I have an older gas stove, basic model with a pilot lite for

I have an older gas stove, basic model with a pilot lite for the burners. When you turn on the left front burner, it blows out the pilot light when it ignites the burner. It doesnt happen with any of the other burners. What could be the problem?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.

The large burner flame is using up the oxygen needed for the pilot flame. Try moving the pilot assembly away from the burner, until the pilot flame stays lit.

If my answer helps you, please click on the 'accept' button. That's how we experts are paid for our efforts.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
If you relight the pilot light while the front burner is lit, the pilot will stay lit. Its just on the initial ignition of the front burner that the pilot goes out. I dont see a way to move the pilot light.
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
Does the burner take longer to light off than the other burners?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I think so
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
There's most likely a soot buildup, inside the burner, that's partially blocking the air flow. Try washing the burner out with hot water from the kitchen sink faucet. If you see black particles flowing out of the burner, keep washing them out, until you see clean water flowing. Then allow the burner to dry thoroughly, before you replace it.