SubZero_Wolf Expert
SubZero_Wolf Expert, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Licensed Appliance Journeyman
46655473

I have a dual fuel 48 free standing range which the small

I have a dual fuel 48' free standing range which the small oven does not heat. The broiler functions properly. With controls in the bake position and temperature selected to 300, both bottom elements are cold. Checking across the leads to both elements indicates O volts. How do I determine the problem ?
Dave

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

Hello, I can help you with this. The reading of zero means that you only have 120 in stead of 240 at the element. This means that one of the two wires isn't supplying voltage. Check each wire individually and determine which is at fault. from there you will need to trace it back to the relay board and see at what point it drops off.

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

You will most likely need to pull the unit and check from the back. If you trace voltage all the way back to the relay board then you will need to check the front side of that relay.

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

There is a small independent relay behind the right side of the kick plate. I would look there for burned connections before you do anything else. If that looks bad replace that.

Customer:

I rechecked the coil leads again, and came up with the following;

Customer:

Broil function main bottom coil has 120v to ground on the left lead, 0v on right.

Customer:

Bake function has 240v between the two leads

Customer:

Proof function has 120v to ground and between both leads

Customer:

Self clean function, has 0v on all.

Customer:

replaced coils and found,

Customer:

broil only top coil gets hot

Customer:

bake, nothing gets hot

Customer:

proof, small coil gets warm

Customer:

self clean nothing get hot

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

Have you checked the front relay behind the kickplate yet? It still sound like you are losing 120v somewhere. The relay is the place to start and if that looks ok then you will have to remove the back and start working backwards from the element leads.

Customer:

I checked the relay and it looks good, no signs of burning or arcing. Since I have 240v across the large element that tells me the relay is working. My guess is that the proof element may only be powered with 120v since it only brings the oven up to 100F. Does that make sense?

Customer:

Dave

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

The proof element is 120 and the broil gets 120 during bake preheat. Rereading your description, you have 240 across bake leads during bake? have you ohmed out the bake element? It may be that simple. For some reason I thought you had 0v across both bake terminals.

Customer:

I have not ohmed out the element. what should i see across it?

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

you should see around 35-75k I believe. Definitely not open. If it reads open then it needs to be replace for sure.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sorry this took so long.
No problem, glad to help.