Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

maytag washing machine Model LAT9704AAE SN 13481981QK mfged

Customer Question

maytag washing machine Model LAT9704AAE SN 13481981QK mfg'ed June 1996
Shakes during spin. More shake in outer drum than inner drum. Feet are even and level.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.

Hi, thanks for using JustAnswer.com. Please remember, I do not get paid for my time and expertise until you accept. Shaking of the outer tub is normal during spin. Does it shake so much that it moves the machine or did you just notice it with the front panel off?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The shaking has been getting worse and worse over time. Sometimes banging the cabinet if the clothes are slightly off balance. And it is getting noiser and noiser.
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.

Number 8 in the picture are snubber pads. They keep the tub from moving excessively. If the tub is moving more and getting worse, you will need to replace them.

Diagram for LAT9704AAE

Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
I can get you part information and a service guide if you would like. There is some disassembly involved and a second person is helpful as well.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Appliance.com parts center calls the part a damper kit, and if it is the same thing I'm looking at on the washer it looks like a rubber pad or UHMW surfaced strip which part of it is dropping out of the bottom and part of it is coming out on top of the bottom pan. So there is no doubt it needs replacement as I assume it cushions the transmission, but how does it actually reduce the shake? I keep expecting to see something the help rebalance the drum kind of like balancing a tire, but there doesn't seem to be anything in the design for that so I'm just looking for more understanding of how this part relates to unbalanced spinning that when I try to steady with my hand doesn't seem to diminish much.
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.

They are called dampers, pads, snubbers, whatever each retailer calls them. They are felt and provide resistance between the machine base and the bottom of the suspension assembly. The three large springs keep downward pressure on these pads to keep the machine from moving during spin. If they are falling out, you will definitely need to replace them. The link below will take you to the correct parts.

Damper Pad Kit $10.66

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX convincing me. One final piece I forgot to mention that I want to throw out there to see if it is consistant with worn snubber pads is there quite a thick layer of black graphite like dust coming from under the damper housing and all over the bottom of the bottom pan.

Is that worn snubber pad?

The pad that is coming out doesn't necessarily look like it would turn into that kind of black graphite, but I can't guess what else it might be.

So now the question is, how do I move the damper housing to install the pad?.

Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
That is not "damper dust" but metal dust from the suspension base rubbing the machine base. You are likely getting squeaking sounds, too. This is caused from the metal on metal during spin. I will upload repair guide but it will take a few minutes. Thanks for your patience!
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.

The service manual is below. Instructions for damper replacement begins on page 3-48. Save the manual for future repairs! Just so you know, once you accept, this thread will remain open for you to refer back to, at no additional charge, if you have additional questions once you receive your parts!

Service Manual

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm still waiting for the installation upload
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.

Follow the link below to download the manual!

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD!