John, restaurant equipment technician
Experience:  25+ years experience. I'm now employed by a commercial cooking equipment service company

I have a circa 1950 General Electric stove and range. I have

I have a circa 1950 General Electric stove and range.
I have the serial#and Cat.# XXXXX I doubt if they'll be much help.
The oven would no longer heat to the desired temperature, but would just get as hot as possible, so I reasoned that the thermostat was faulty.
Of course there are no replacement parts for this particular model, but I went to Repair and looked at any number of thermostats that seemed like they could work.
How do I know which thermostat might work for my old oven?
It is late here, so I'll probably look for your answer in the morning.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.

Electric oven thermostats all function in the same way, a snap action switch actuated by gas pressure on a bellows disk. The only variations are in the mounting flange, the capillary tube length, and the shaft configuration.

If you can remove yours from your range, it's easy to take it to a local appliance repair shop for a suitable match. If not, take a photo of the switch housing, along with any identifying information on the housing, and measurements of the mounting holes, and capillary length.

If my answer helps you, please click on the 'accept' button. That's how we experts are paid for our efforts.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hey John,
My particular model has a bake/boil dial on one side and the thermostat on the other. Does that make any difference on which model. Also, I detached the the capillary from the old thermostat, but I have yet to take off the back of the oven and retrieve it. Are there any tricks for retracting the capillary and reattaching a new one? Thanks
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
The bake/broiler selector is just a switch to select which mode you want to use. The old trick for getting the new capillary bulb through the oven wall is to cut the old capillary tube at the rear of the old thermostat, and tape the new bulb to it, then use the old tube to pull the new one through the wall. Put a loop in the old tube, so the new one won't slide off, when you pull on it.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sorry John, Two more questions (I think :)
I don't have access to an appliance parts place, so I'll probably order the thermostat on-line.
The only place I've looked is and there is such a wide range of prices for thermostats.
From $49 to $200. What makes one better than another?
Thanks for the tip on installing the capillary. I'm wondering if it was the capillary that went bad or the thermostat. Are they always replaced at the same time?
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
The capillary tube and sensing bulb are an integral part of the thermostat. Think of it as a control switch with a remote sensor. All domestic thermostats are equal in quality. Their price depends mostly on who's selling you the part.
If you can determine which company actually made the part(usually Robert Shaw), you might find helpful information on their website. Another useful website is This website specializes in domestic appliance parts.