Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

My Kenmore microwave oven, model 721.66339, was working perfectly,

My Kenmore microwave oven, model 721.66339, was working perfectly, yesterday. Today, when I punch in a time and "start," it seems to operate (buzzes and the table turns and the power is set at 100), but provides no heating. The manual provides no useful information. Is there a simple fix or is my microwave completely shot?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

If the microwave still looks and sounds like it's working, but it's just not heating--that means your magnetron has likely failed. The magnetron is the part that actually creates the microwave to heat the food and it commonly goes bad and rarely gives a warning. The part itself costs about $100-150 so depending on the condition of the microwave, it may be better to just replace the microwave rather than repair it.