SubZero_Wolf Expert
SubZero_Wolf Expert, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Licensed Appliance Journeyman
46655473

I have a noisy excessive soft, although disturbing vibration

I have a noisy excessive soft, although disturbing vibration coming from my upright Frigidaire Refrigerator Only (no Freezer Section) and separate matching upright Frigidaire Freezer Only (No Refridgerator section). What can I do to stop this vibrating noise. I am sure it is the sound of the compressor running, I just don't want to hear it in my otherwise very quite hearth room which adjoins my kitchen.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  SubZero_Wolf Expert replied 2 years ago.

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

Hello, I can help you with this. How old is this machine? Have you checked the rear fan and cleaned the fan blades?

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

Hello

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

I would check the rear fan and see if you disconnect it if the sound is reduced. The next thing i would check is if you wedge something under the lower tubes the sound is reduced. beyond that you can't do much to the compressor except replace it. depending on the age it may not be worth it.

Customer:

This is a Frigidaire Model # XXXXX UPRIGHT ALL REFIGERATOR 16.7 CU FOOT STAINLESS STEEL UNIT

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

you con't block off the compressor because the air flow is is important. The best you can do is verify that it's not the fan or anything else rattling from the compressor vibration. A compressor repair would be over 500$.

Customer:

The freezer is a Frigidare Model # XXXXX UPRIGHT FREEZER. 16.7 CU FOOT STAINLESS STEEL UNIT which matches, and sit right beside the refigerator, which makes them look built in, which they are not. They are both free standing units installed in a space recessed 10 " so that the fronts are even with the counter tops. They do appear built in.

Customer:

They were both purchased in Dec 2005. They were made in 8/2005 and 9/2005 by Electrolux.

Customer:

IN my literatue, my compresor has a limited 10 year warranty, would that replace it without charge, or would they still charge labor?

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

Unfortunately you can't do much from the front of these. they will have to be pulled to gain access to the fan/compressor. It is entirely likely that you just need a fan motor.

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

You would need to pay labor which would be a couple hundred and the work would have to be done by a factory authorized company to get the part for free.

Customer:

A fan motor doesn't sound like a large expense, is replacing it an easy job. By the way, I have had this sound since we purhcased them

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

The first step is to have someone pull the unit and check both moving component. No way to tell without that.

Customer:

Does a nosiy compressor fall under the warranty, becuase they both cool/freeze perfectly

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

Fan motor is cheap 88$ at sears.com HERE.

Customer:

I can disasemble the stainless steel surrond that makes them appear as if they are built in. Then pull each of them out and review the fan and blades from behind after removing their grates

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

The warranty would be up to the authorized tech. Most would be inclined to say ok as they want the labor $. Check and see and you can order the fan and do it easily yourself.

Customer:

How loud should the compressor be just byitself running? Should you be able to hear it from 25 feet away, although we do have hard wood floors in the kitchen and the hearth room?

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

Turn the machine off, unplug the fan and turn it back on. If the sound is still present then would need the compressor. The compressor should have a soft hum to it but your shouldn't hear it from 25+ feet.

Customer:

Perhaps I can also provide more insulattion behind and between the units, without covering the floor vents which of course are necessary for ventilation

Customer:

Thanks for your help this evening. I will defintely try unpluging the fan and turn the compressor back on. Good idea to try and isolate the noise. Richard

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

It's worth trying but the air has to go somewhere so just make sure you leave some access for that.

Experience: Licensed Appliance Journeyman