SubZero_Wolf Expert
SubZero_Wolf Expert, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Licensed Appliance Journeyman
46655473

I have a brand new frigidaire 18 undercounter dishwasher and

Customer Question

I have a brand new frigidaire 18" undercounter dishwasher and it just does not get the dishes clean. When I open the door after the cycle has run, the cleaning solution has run down the inside of the door and is pooled at the bottom of the washer. I have changed the type of detergent, turned the water heater up to make sure the water is at least 120 degrees and taken anything out of the bottom rack (including the utensil holder) to make sure the water jets reach the whole washer but nothing has worked. I have resorted to just washing dishes manually again. I paid almost $500 for the washer and another $975 to have the electical system ran to acccomodate it , $375 for matching cabinetry to incase it as well as $200 for the plubmer to install it. To say I am extremely frustrated is an understatement. If anyone can help me they would truly be my hero. Thanks
Category: Appliance
Expert:  SubZero_Wolf Expert replied 5 years ago.

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

Hello, I can help you with this. Does the walls of the machine look wet if you open the door after 5 min of running? Has the machine ever worked sice you got it? Let me know and I can assist further. Thanks, Sam

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

Hello? I am available to assist you whenever you are ready. Thanks

Customer:

When you say "5 minutes of running" do you mean 5 minutes into the cycle, if so I dont know as I haven't stopped it to check it but I think after a complete washing and drying cycle the door is still wet when I open it. Secondly, no he machine has never worked properly since we had it installed a few weeks ago.

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

I was wondering if you open the door fast after 5 min into the cycle if the sides appear wet and if water sprays out. This will check that the circulation pump is running correctly.

Customer:

I'll try it now and be back in a few minutes.

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

Let me know.

Customer:

really odd...the door on the right side is wet the but the left side of the door where the door that holds the detergent is completely dry. well not completely dry the top part is wet but right above the door and below it is dry. It's so odd because it is exactly down the middle. One side wet the other side dry.

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

It sounds like the spray arms are not rotating. Make sure that you check that the arm holes are clear and there are no obstructions. Also check how hard the water is spraying when you open the door as fast as you can during spray. The arms are rotated by the water flowing through them. If you open the door fast and don't get splashed then you have a circulation pump that is to weak to move the arms.

Customer:

the left side of the machine is wet so the sides are getting wet but not the door. I didnt open the door fast last time. I'm going to try it again and open it fast this time to see if its spraying. I'll try again and get back to you in a couple minutes.

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

The spray should be very strong.

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

The other thing you can do it put both arm front to back wise and see if they have moved after the spray.

Customer:

okay I dont know what's going on...I opened the door fast and water did spray out but the left side of the door was still dry so i closed it and waited a couple minutes and opened the door again and the arm was not moving. neither top or bottom. I closed it again and waited thinking maybe I opened it in mid cycle and maybe it pauses during the cycle. The next time I opened it, it still wasnt moving. I stopped it and started it again. the next time I opened it, it did spray out. Sorry but I dont understand "put both arm front to back wise" to see if they move moved after the spray.

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

By front to back, I mean both arms facing the same direction so you have a known location and you can see if they have moved. At this point if you can spin both arms freely and they are not blocked, then I believe you need the circulation pump. The water pressure is what turns the arms. The machine has 1 year factory warranty, I would suggest having an authorized tech come look at it and have them bring a pump.

Customer:

I did spin them around and there seems to be no problem with them moving. I agree. I think I need a tech to come out. I've already called them once. I'll call them again for a service call. Thanks for your help and answering mu questions on football Sunday. I dont see the button to accept the fee but I'm sure It'll pop up.