Alan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ years in the appliance repair field.

why will the dryer not heat

why will the dryer not heat
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Alan replied 5 years ago.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be helping you today. Please remember, I do not get paid for my time and expertise until you accept. This may sound silly but check your breaker if you haven't already, It is a double breaker and can trip half of it and the dryer will still run but not heat. Next unplug the dryer and take the cover off of where the cord hooks up and make sure that one of the wires did not burn off. If neither one of those things are the problem post back to here and we can troubleshoot further.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

It did not work to reset the breaker and there are no burndt wires

the new coil shows 2 connections and I only have 1 wire and is there a fuse in the dryer itself

Expert:  Alan replied 5 years ago.
In this picture there are three thermostats that need to be checked they are #'s 8,9,15. Check all of these for continuity. If any are bad replace and you should be all set.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I already had them checked and they are fine
Expert:  Alan replied 5 years ago.
Does the dryer get warm at all? Check to make sure you have 220 volts to the place where the cord hooks up. Check across the outside terminals.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the dryer does not heat
Expert:  Alan replied 5 years ago.
Do you have 220 volts where the cord hooks up?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

yes we have 220 volts hook up

also the cycle selector dial does not move as time goes on so the dryer will keep running

Expert:  Alan replied 5 years ago.
When you said the timer dial does not move, that indicates that you have a bad switch that is part of the motor. It only activates when the motor is up to speed so that you can never have the heater working if the motor is not running. It is only replaced as part of the motor. Click here to find pricing and a place to purchase the motor.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
what about the coil unit having 2 connections and I only have 1 wire
Expert:  Alan replied 5 years ago.
Which coil unit?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
heater coil
Expert:  Alan replied 5 years ago.
Your heater should connections on it but one of those connections should have a thermostat connected to it. And you should have one wire that hooks to the heater and one wire that hooks to the other side of the thermostat. Watch this video and you will see what I mean. Video