Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

My clothes washer was filling up to start washing a load and

My clothes washer was filling up to start washing a load and then just stopped . Now the only setting that works is the spin dry.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

so this just spins but doesn't add the water? if you start it over no water comes in?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
correct , I did also check the screens at the inlets . It doesn't agitate either.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

you don't have stop flood hoses on this right? from the house to the machine?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
no, just simple hose bibbs
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
do you have a volt meter?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
okay can you check the water valve for voltage?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I assume I have to take the back off for that ?
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
no , actually this ones a little tough, let me see if I can send a diagram
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
the problem is its in the back and the back doesn't come off this one, # XXXXX on the diagram has a screw in it holding the valve assembly in the back, you can shut the water off and unplug the machine take the screw out and pull the vale out the back enough to get to the plugs , make sure before plugging it back in its not touching anything .put this on fill and test the plugs for power. you cant really reach this from the front either, so you need to do it from the back.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
but if it's unplugged , there won't be any power.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
sorry i meant to tell you once you have it so it wont touch anything then plug it back in and try the fill while testing, Duh, my mistake, sorry.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
nothing from either plug .
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
okay is there power going to the pressure switch? when you try water?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok , so where's the pressure switch?
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
# XXXXX on this diagram, unplug the machine again and take the screws out along the top of the control panel and tip it forward, it has a rubber hose connected to it, plug the washer back in and test it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
if the pressure switch is where the fill level is ,there are 3 terminals and I tried all combinations of the 3 with no power at any combo
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
thats not good, yes thats the switch, any power going to the water temperature switch next to it ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
no
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
its the timer. your not getting any power from it, the timer is $124.00 @ link I'm not sure how much you want to spend its up to you, hope I've helped though, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
are you sure? the washer is 20 years old and I can't afford to replace parts and still need to buy a new washer anyway.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
theres really nothing else between the timer and the water valve that we haven't checked, I'm as sure as i can be, I've walked you through everything i would do, to be honest there are other things that are going to fail on this in the near future, you got a lot of good years out of it, you may want to consider a new machine at this point but I wanted to cover all the bases before recommending that. thats the best I can do. thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Bryan , I would like a fefund because after you had me check all the different switches and told me I needed a $125 timer , all I ended up needing was a fuse at the lid switch .