John, restaurant equipment technician
Experience:  25+ years experience. I'm now employed by a commercial cooking equipment service company
22250861

Hi! What a great service! Heres the information I have

Hi!
What a great service! Here's the information I have: We have an old Wedgewood in an apartment unit. I do not know how long the following has been a problem because I have no way to contact the previous tenant that was there for the last 10 years. Our utility company came by to check and connect the appliances and said on the service report: "Oven pilot will not hold, millivolt system failure. Combination valve on oven safety button is sticking, pilot goes out after a few minutes when safety button works it way out; possibly a bad combination valve.

Questions:
1) Could it be that the safety button is grimed up, as it looked as if the stove had not been cleaned for 10 years, although oven was pretty clean?

2) If we need to get another combination valve, are they hard to find and install?

Thanks you!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.

The Wedgewood company has'nt manufactured home appliances for many years, but the components they used are still being used by other manufacturers. The quickest way to solve your problem is to remove the gas safety valve, and take it to a local gas appliance repair shop for a match. You should also replace the thermocouple.

If my answer helps you, please click on the 'accept' button. That's how we experts are paid for our efforts.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks, John!
Is removing the gas safety valve and replacing the thermocouple something that a non-professional (like me or husband) could do?
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
If neither of you have worked with gas appliances, and are not acquianted with the necessary safety procedures, it's best for a professional service person to do it. This person can also be the one to find the correct replacement safety valve. Check with your local servicers to find out which one is willing to do the job, and ask for a phone estimate for labor and parts.