Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
11179659

MY WATER DESPINSER JUST STERTED LEAKING WATER IT IS A WHIRLPOOL

Customer Question

MY WATER DESPINSER JUST STERTED LEAKING WATER IT IS A WHIRLPOOL REFRIGERATOR WITH A ICE AND WATER DESPINSER IN THE DOOR
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 5 years ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you.

Please look in the fresh food section up near the top for model/serial sticker and post the model number. I need the model to be able to see the diagrams.

Look up in the dispneser, is the water dripping out of the tube up in there?

Barry
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
THE WATER IS LEAKING RIGHT FROM THE TUBE AT THE DOOR AND THE MODEL # XXXXX
Expert:  Barry G. replied 5 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX valve is bad and needs replaced. The part number(NNN) NNN-NNNN That is a factory number you can shop anywhere with. One place that has it online is just at the bottom of the post. There is a picture to look at there if you need to look.

The inlet valve is the first part on the back of your refrigerator that your homes water supply connects to. One side is for the ice maker and one side is for the dispenser. Its a dual valve in one body. To replace it UNPLUG THE UNIT. Turn off the water, remove the screws holding it on and pull it out where you can work with it. If you look where the plastic lines go into the valve you will see a white or yellow ring. Press that down in toward the valve while pressing the line in at the same time. Then pull the line out while holding the ring down. Simply push the line in the new valve and give it a light tug to be sure its seated.

Once you get all the water lines changed pull a wire connector off the old valve and push it on the new. Do that one at a time so you do not get them mixed up. Thats it. Plug up the unit and turn everything on and it will all start automatically.

WATER VALVE ONLINE HERE.

Barry

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Would it be possible to just cap off the line going to the water dispenser we dont use it anyway and to replace the entire valve may be expencsive and where can I get the cap if they make one

Expert:  Barry G. replied 5 years ago.
Under the kick panel below the doors there might be a connector there. Take a look and see, if there is you can take that fitting to a hardware store and pick up the parts you need to cap it there. That will be past the ice maker so the ice maker will still get water.
Barry