Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I contacted you a week ago, regarding my jenn-air dual-fuel

I contacted you a week ago, regarding my jenn-air dual-fuel downdraft range, (model JDS9860). I received the control board / clock in the mail this morning, and would like to replace it. I have it exposed, but I can't seem to unhook the ribbon cord from the original control board (it hooks to the front of the door). Can you help me?

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

are you trying to remove the ribbon that plugs in at on the left side of the picture in the black connector ?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Actually, it connects to that black connector on the right side of the picture. The cord comes from the door, and should connect into that black site there, but I can't get it unhooked from the old control panel.
I'm sorry right side I meant to say, okay on each side of the connector there are clips you pull up, not on the flat sides but on the ends, these lift up or squeeze to release the ribbon.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I go the ribbon to release, so now what should I do?
on each end did you release the clips? if so the ribbon should pull out of the connector.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, I got the ribbon to release, so now what should be the next step ... do I insert the ribbon into the new control board, or should I do something else and save that until later?
insert it now its fine, or you can mount the control and then insert it if theres room for that.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Bryan,
Is there a way to release the "blu J" cables from the old control panel? They seem really tight, and I don't want to pull too hard. (These are the cables that connect into the bottom black "console" on the left side of the picture you sent.)
they actually are held in on the top by a clip built into the control connector , you can use a small steak knife or screwdriver to pry the clip just a little and they will release.is it right at the board you need to release them?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, right on the board. I'll try a little screwdriver and see if I can get them to come out.

they will come free. if your taking them off the old board then don't worry about breaking the tabs your replacing the board anyway.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I got them off and into the new slots, and I got everything plugged in, mounted, and ready to slide back in, but now I'm having a DEVIL of a time getting the control panel, etc., to slide back in. It seems like I get stuck on the top, where that metal "L" thingy is attached to the top of the white top, or on the bottom (where the cardboard seems to hit). Any tricks you can recommend to getting it to go back in, so I can firm everything into place?
are you talking about it getting stuck in the back?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I think I might have the cardboard in there upside down, so I'm going to try that and see if I can get it to slide back in. I think that's the problem ... I'll let you know how it turns out.
okay
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have to take a break or I'm going to get a sledge hammer. I can't seem to get all those little screws to line up and go in smoothly. I'm thinking maybe I'm pinching some type of wire under there, and I need to take the whole thing off again!!!!
sorry to hear that, I'm signing off for awhile myself. thanks Bryan