Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

Bosch dishwasher, not draining. Have investigated down to

Bosch dishwasher, not draining. Have investigated down to impeller, which spins freely. Makes buzzing (physical, not electronic) noise when attempting to drain. All lines appear free.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

If the pump is making a buzzing noise and you don't see anything blocking the impeller, the drain pump just needs to be ordered and replaced. Below is a link to the drain pump you'll need to order.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What if it isn't buzzing due to blockage - it sounds more like it's a partial obstruction, but still appears to be pumping, partially
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
it definitely wouldn't cause a buzzing noise from a partial blockage, in fact that would make the pump even quieter normally. EIther way, you can always uninstall your dishwasher and remove the side panel so that you can disconnect the drain hose. Then just blow through it to make sure it's clear.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I blew out the hose from the rear connection to the drain, and tried to blow it through the dishwasher, but was unsuccessful in that direction
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
you can't blow it the other way because there is a backflow flap. If it blows out, then your have a bad drain pump.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK. I just purchased this dishwasher from Craigslist from a seller who claimed that this was working down to the last day. If I got scammed, I got scammed - but, I do know that it partially drained at least once. Before the error sign, it pumps for a few seconds, stops and tries again. Is there anything I could have done wrong in the installation? The drain path follows exactly the same path as the dishwasher it replaced.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
You can always try to just put the drain hose into a bucket to make sure it's not your plumbing---but if it still doesn't drain out correctly, the pump is just bad. The pump turning off and on is normal, that's how this unit drains. It does this to keep the motor cool and prime the drain impeller blade.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok, that's really good to know. I did what you suggested, and it doesn't make a difference. The sound is better described as a high pitched clicking, and I can also hear it much more quietly when I move the impeller.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
ok, well the only thing you can do at this point is replace the drain pump. Just for reference, it may not have been sold to you knowing that it was broken. If the dishwasher sits completely dry for a few weeks, it can cause the bearing on the motors to go bad because these dishwasher hold water under the filter to keep the bearings primed.