Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

gas dryer runs for about 1 minute then fire shuts off for about

Customer Question

gas dryer runs for about 1 minute then fire shuts off for about a minute then
re-fires for about 30 seconds then shuts down and continues on this on -off cycle. Timer does not move so I replaced the timer but it still does not move.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

this is a common issue, the gas valve coils are weak and cant hold the gas valve open, these are simple to replace and are inexpensive, around $17.00, you can order them at the link below and there is also a video there on how to replace them, thanks Bryan

part and video

Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Have not received the part yet so I don't know if it fixes the problem or not
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
okay let me know when you get them. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

replacing the gas solenoid valves did not correct the problem. I am returning the valves since they did not help. It sounds like a relay is clicking off when the gas shuts down

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
can you tell where the clicking is comming from ? is it up top in the control or down where the gas valve is ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
it sounds like it is down near the gas not in the control panel up top
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
sorry got called out, it sounds like the valve itself. new coils should have worked but if the valve is bad they wont.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
so should I replace the gas valve. It sounds like a relay clicks and then the fire shuts off
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
well that seems to be the case from what your saying, I'm wondering however if your high limit or cycling thermostat is bad.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
is there any way to run a test on the thermostat??
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
only with a volt meter and test to see if its shutting down to early.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
checked the thermostat for continuity and it was OK should I replace the gas valve?
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
I would at this point yes. just make the vent is clear also, trey running this without the vent attached. see if it runs correctly with the vent off.