Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Re Kenmore automatic washer model 110.81320130 Ser No.

Re: Kenmore automatic washer model 110.81320130 Ser No. C53406392
Clothes are wrapping around the agitator very tightly. Pieces of clothes get caught under the lower blades. This has happened in the last five wash attempts; never before. Now the lower blades have become bent.

Do I just replace the agitator or is there something more complex going on?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

usually when this happens it mean the outer tub is turning when this is agitating, do you know if that is happening?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I don't know. It has happened each of the last five times. I have heard the machine thumping as it does with an unbalanced load, but I haven't gone to watch. How could I determine if the outer tub is turning?
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
try filling the machine and when it starts agitating open the lid and see is the tub is spinning while its agitating.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I will test it now and get back to you in 15 minutes.

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
okay thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I filled the tub and ran the cycle. The agitator spins counterclockwise in little turns. The visible tub, with the holes in it, doesn't spin during agitation. When I advance the cycle to spin, the tub with holes spins quite fast clockwise and the agitator seems to spin with it at the same speed. I cannot see if the outer tub, without holes I assume, is moving.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

okay its the agitator itself then, you need to replace it, below is a link to the part

agigator

thanks, Bryan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I ordered the agitator. How difficult will it be to replace? Are there instructions online? I have the schematic and it appears that all I need to do is remove the cap, unscrew the screw and lift the old agitator out.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

very simple, pop the top cap # XXXXX rend remove the bolt #2 and then just pull the agitator up and off,

very easy, thanks Bryan

Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The agitator came today. I installed it. It did nothing to solve the problem.

I think the problem is that the agitator does not go back and forth. It only moves in one direction. And there is more motor noise than their should be. So my "theory" is that what is broken is some sort of gear that causes the agitator to agitate --- back and forth in short spurts -- while slowly advancing around a spindle.

What is really the problem? Can you tell?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
The answer I was given caused me to spend $87 on a part but did not fix the problem. I want someone who knows Kenmore washing machines to read the file and tell me whether to fix this or replace the machine.
Expert:  Appliance Tech Larry replied 3 years ago.
Hello I'm Larry and will be helping you so please stay on line with me until we finish, i will try not to take up to much time ,, thanks

i will help you ,,, you need to replace the gearcase (transmission), its trying to turn as it agitates and this means you will have to completely tear down the washer to replace the gearcase, i have seen this many times before
before i leave today do you need any other help