Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a GE Profile washing machine model number WNSE4200A...

Customer Question

I have a GE Profile washing machine model number WNSE4200A... the tub will not spin... I have removed the bottom of the washer and the belt is in tact... I can turn the pulleys by hand the tub will spin... When I plugged it back in, it spun for just a second and stopped again... you can hear the motor running and if left running long enough, you begin to smell the belt getting hot... HELP... Thanks, Sam
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

This could be a bad motor or a transmission that is locking up when the pulley is turning at full speed. You'll want to watch and see if the belt is running when it should be spinning. If so, you need a new transmission. If not, disconnect the belt and see if the motor runs without the belt attached. If so, then replace the transmission. If not, replace the motor.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How do I see if the belt is running when it should be spinning... I tried starting the washer with it laying on its side and nothing happens

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
You remove the front panel and watch.
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I can't get the front off

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
To access, use a putty knife and push on the two hidden metal spring clips that hold the top panel to the front panel. These clips are located in the crease between the top and front panel. If both clips are pushed back, the front panel will pull forward and hinge down so that you can remove it.