Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

how do you remove a burner valve from the manifold on a jenn-air

Customer Question

how do you remove a burner valve from the manifold on a jenn-air downdraft cook top model JGD8130ADS
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

I'm assuming you have the cooktop apart so that you can see the valve and the manifold correct?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
OK so the entire manifold will need to be removed. Disconnect all the gas lines to all the burner valves and remove the 4 screws going through the manifold holding it onto the frame of the cooktop. Now the entire manifold is screwed onto the gas line, so unscrew the manifold and remove it. The reason you need to remove the manifold is because there is a screw coming from the bottom of the manifold going up into the valve which holds the valve secure. Below is a link to the manifold if you wanted to see how it's connected a little better.

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Give me a few minutes to check this out. The cook top is in another room.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
ok good luck.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So, just to clarify, I would disconnect all four gas lines that go to all four burner valves. Then I would have to remove all the wiring that is attached to each valve, right?, Then, I grab the manifold with my hand and turn it counter-clockwise to remove the manifold, correct? Then, underneath the manifold I will find four screws holding each of the valves into place. I would then remove the screw holding the bad valve, replace it with the new one, and put everything back together again, like Humpty Dumpty, right? Are there any tricks involved, or is it as straight forward as I have just described it?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
That is correct. The only trick is going to be removing that manifold---it is TIGHT. And when you re-install it, make sure you use a gas sealent to reconnect the manifold to the connection on the cooktop.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Though the manifold is tight, I should be able to remove it with my hand, right? No special tools needed, correct? Also, when I re-install the manifold using a gas sealant, how would I make sure there is no gas leak since it doesn't appear that I'll be able to see where the connection is made once it is re-installed. In other words, I'll be standing directly over the manifold when its installed without being able to see the actual threaded connection. My view would be obstructed by the various parts and frame of the cook top.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
correct. And you need bubbles or a combustion meter to make sure it seals up.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I don't have a combustion meter, nor, do I know what a combustion meter is. I've used the bubble method before, but in this case, WOULD I BE ABLE TO SEE THE BUBBLES LOOKING DOWN AT THE MANIFOLD FOR THE TOP OF THE COOK TOP GIVEN THE FACT THAT THE CONNECTION IS BELOW THE MANIFOLD?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
probably not. You would either need to hope there isn't a leak or get a combustable meter which is like $200 or so.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Please answer my question related to being able to remove the manifold by hand. I realize that it may be tight, but is it meant to be unscrewed by hand?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
yes, it can be removed by hand. I have done it several times.

Good luck and have a nice day.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
You have a nice day too. Thank you very much for the prompt answers. Great Job.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
no problem and I wish you the best of luck.