Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I put an electric water heater model #12em40-2 40 gal. I have

Customer Question

I put an electric water heater model #12em40-2 40 gal. I have had to to reset the unit many times since install on 8/16. Last night I smelled smoke and checked the unit and smelled smoke from the reset area on the tank. I shut off the power and need instruction of what to do.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

when you installed this was there 4 wires ? red, black,white and a copper ground? comming from the breaker box?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no there were only two same as previous unit.

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
only two wires ? this is a 220 volt water heater there should be a minimum of three two line and a ground, is there no ground? a bare copper wire?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It says on the data plate that it is a 240 volt unit. We have a 125 to 250 volt incoming. The unit has a black wire from the unit to the power source black wire. and a red wire from the unit to the white wire on the power source. There is a green ground wire that is grounded right in the unit.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
is there a grounded wire from the power source? grounded to the machine?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No there is not.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
thats your issue, I cant believe the old one didn't have one either? you absolutely need this grounded, the wiring that comes from the box does it have a white covering over it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
There are only to wires from the source and there is not white covering.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
something is wrong, was the old one 220 volts?
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
do you remember how many wires on the old heater?