Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.

I own a GE Profile Refrigerator Model # XXXXX which is

Customer Question

I own a GE Profile Refrigerator Model # XXXXX which is 5 years old. All of the control electronics inside the door went off and it's not cooling but the lights are still on. The external panel on the freezer door also not work. No external light, no water, ice. What there a 'fuse' that needs to be replaced or is something else wrong?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you. Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

Remove the kick panel in the front under the doors, follow the wires from the freezer door to the connector there, are there broken wires or corrosion in the connector?

Thanks,
Barry

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No corrosion. Its a 3 wire connector. Unpluged and repluged. Looks clean and dry. This is the wire coming out of the frezzer door on the bottom.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Yes thats the one, thanks.

Does anything on the dispenser work at all? What about the night light (press the dispenser paddle)? Also do you have a volt meter?

Barry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Barry,

Nothing on the front panel works. The night light does not work either. Yes, I have a volt meter.

Bill

Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Hi Bill,

Give me a few minutes to edit a picture for you. There is a panel around behind the refrigerator. 8 x 10 thats where I am going to set the test up from on that control board. I will not be too long.

Barry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Let me know what kind of tools I need to get to the panel beyond the phillips screw driver I already have. It will save me a trip.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
1/4 inch nut driver and a meter should be all you need.

Barry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK.

Just restating - the in frig control panel is "OFF" also !

Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Ok we can skip the test, I missed that. Give me a minute to look up a part number for you.

Barry

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Barry - is there an in frig "fuse"?

Additionally - the unit is not cooling, the fan is off, it's not making ice and everything is melting. The only thing (which is strange) that is working are the lights.

Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
There is a fuse on the control board arrowed in the diagram below. You can check it but it almost never blows. If that is good the board will be bad.

Those 2 parts are on seperate circuits but the one thing both have in common is the main control board. Thats going to be the bad part

On the back of the refrigerator is an 8 x 10 panel. Not down low but up higher. I have the area arrowed in the diagram.

The part number is WR55X10942 and one place that has it online is just below. Or you can shop locally with that number its a factory part number.

CLICK HERE.

To replace that unplug the refrigerator and remove the 8 x 10 panel on the back. Remove the connectors and replace the board. Put the connectors back they will only fit where they belong. Follow the instruction sheet that comes with the part TO STEP 2 ONLY, all of the other steps are for other models. Plug the refrigerator in and turn it on. If it does not turn on right away, wait 40 minutes, it will be in the defrost cycle and will start.

Barry

CLICK TO ENLARGE
graphic
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How confident are you that the problem is the circuit board and not something else.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Positive, the original board that comes with the unit seems to be weak and it has been changed. Thats why you will recieve an instruction sheet with the new board. You do not have to program the board but in step 2 you will be required to compare the first 3 characters of the serial number with a list on the sheet. Some serials need to have a wire cut which is a thermistor wire. Its not a wire that carrys a load but gives a resistance reading to the board for temperature. The best thing to do is not cut the wire ignoring the sheet unless your serial is on the list. Watch the temperature of the freezer for about 4 or 5 hours and if it does not drop below 15 degrees and the unit turns off then cut the wire. It will cool normally then. It seems GE printed the sheet too early and did not get all of the serials on the sheet then has never updated it.

You have 30 days after you click accept to ask followup questions so bookmark the page, you can return if you have problems and I will give you more help if you get stuck or have questions.

Barry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your help.....

Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
You are welcome Bill, thank you for the opportunity.

That part is very common. If you have an appliance repair or parts sales in your area they will have it unless they are sold out.

Barry