Jason
Jason, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Home appliance technician with 10 years experience working on numerous makes and models.
13279327

I have a GE gfss2kexass and the fan is making a loud noise

I have a GE gfss2kexass and the fan is making a loud noise like a buzzsaw. What does this mean?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Jason replied 5 years ago.
Which fan is noisy? The freezer fan or the fan in the back by the compressor?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Well I can't tell the difference. It sounds like its coming from behind the fridge but the freezer is a bottom freezer so i cant really tell. We have had problem with our icemaker for a while. It hasn't made ice in two years
Expert:  Jason replied 5 years ago.
If you open the freezer drawer does the noise stop?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no it does not
Expert:  Jason replied 5 years ago.
Ok that means the fan in the back is noisy. The fan blade is either hitting something causing the noise or the fan motor is going bad. You would have to pull out the unit to verify this. If nothing is hitting the fan, then the fan motor needs to be replaced. As far as the ice maker, is the water to the unit turned on?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Fan motor replaced how much does that usually run and yes water to the unit is turned on. We had someone come look at it and told us we need a new icemaker. not so worried about that. I wanted to make sure that wouldn't be whats affecting it. If it's the fan motor whats my next step
Expert:  Jason replied 5 years ago.
To replace a fan motor, you would be looking at about $200. If it is the fan motor making a noise, it needs to be replaced as soon as possible. If that fan stops running, the compressor will overheat and cause the unit not to cool.