Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
11179659

My Maytag Refrigerator contiues to run and cool 24/7, the compressor

Customer Question

My Maytag Refrigerator contiues to run and cool 24/7, the compressor will not shut off. This has been going on since 9/20/2011. The only way I have been able to keep food from freezing in the refrigerator area is a 24 hours timer. I set it to run for 75 minutes and then off for 3 hours. Here is what the repair service has tried to far and it is still not fixed. Ref Model 4MFC2061HEW SN: 862835 Purchased 09/27/06. This is 2nd repair since I have owned it. First time I lost all my food as it would not cool, now the exact opposite is going on. Here is what has been done since it went out this time on 09/20/11.

Replaced CNTRL - ELEC PART NO: 12782036SP (Did not fix problem)
Replaced the Sensor (Did not fix Problem)
Replaced KEYBOARD PART NO: Y67005640 (DID NOT FIX PROBLEM)

The repair service is ABC, Fredericks Appliance Repair Service, Belleview, FL 34420
Phone XXX-XXX-XXXX, the Repairman is RAY and my refrigerator is still not fixed
and it has been 12 days now. What else could be wrong? This is really getting old, can you help???

Vernon Burdette
XXX-XXX-XXXX XXXXX
Lady Lake, FL 32159
Category: Appliance
Expert:  gst85 replied 3 years ago.

gst85 :

hi,which sensor did he replaced?

JACUSTOMER-o1lhdtp4- :

The one in the refrigerator area inside the componenet where the keyboard is located.

gst85 :

ok ,have you lowered the temperature control

JACUSTOMER-o1lhdtp4- :

Yes and the refrigerator continued to run until it started freezing water in a glass inside the refrigerator. The fridge temp was reading 30 degrees and the freezer was reading 2 degrees. Only way to keep stuff from freezing is the time I am using.

gst85 :

ok ,do you have an "off" postion setting on your thermostat control?

JACUSTOMER-o1lhdtp4- :

I do not see an Off position on the keypad.

gst85 :

your thermostat control is digital?

JACUSTOMER-o1lhdtp4- :

YES THE THERMOSTAT IS DIGITAL, YOU PRESS ON THE KEYPAD FOR RAISE OR LOWER THE TEMP FOR THE REFRIGERATOR PORTION AND THEN THE FREEZER.

gst85 :

ok the only thing that it can be is the temperature control,if the control board has been replaced.

JACUSTOMER-o1lhdtp4- :

The Keyboard part Y67005640 that was replaced is a digitital strip thatis

JACUSTOMER-o1lhdtp4- :

placed on the front of the control panel and then it is prorammed with a code.

JACUSTOMER-o1lhdtp4- :

I am pretty sure that the electronic temp control has not been replaced, but why wouldn't the Maytag Repairman know what to do to fix this. I have spent over $300.00 now and still not fixed.

gst85 :

if these parts did not fix the problem then i have no other info on this issue,sorry but i am going to option out and ask another tech to assist you asap.

gst85 :

good luck to you,

JACUSTOMER-o1lhdtp4- :

Thanks

JACUSTOMER-o1lhdtp4- :

Please do not charge me for the $30.00 as I have received nothing that will allow me to make a decision as to what to do next to make repairs. I will most likely junk this 5 year old Maytag and buy something that works for more than a few years at a time.

Expert:  gst85 replied 3 years ago.
have a great night good luck to you
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
Hello Vernon, which thermistor was changed? And did they check the damper to see if it was stuck open?

Barry