Peter
Peter, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Over 25 years in the home appliance service and parts industry.
27890704

I have a Kenmore Elite automatic washers with calypso wash

Customer Question

I have a Kenmore Elite automatic washers with calypso wash motion. My wife was trying to wash a heavy load and then decided to add 2 tea kettles of boiling hot water to the wash. When she started the load she got the code "CA" which meant the wash is overloaded. When she emptied the load and then started the wash she continued to get the code "CA". I took the drain hose and dropped it down and then started the wash with a empty load. About 4 gallons drained but the code continued to pop up. Do I have to take the washing machine apart to drain it even more or is there a reset buttom that I am missing?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Peter replied 5 years ago.

Peter :

Hi, my name is Peter. I am eager to help you solve your appliance problems.

Peter :

"CA" is for average current trip. This occurs if there is a 2 second average of current draw greater that 5.55 amps at the motor winding. Overloading can cause this issue. Unplug the washer for 5 minutes. This will reset the board.

JACUSTOMER-jgdj05lx- :

I unplugged it for 6 minutes. The washer started and ran for about 2 minutes. Again, the "CA" code showed up and shut the washer off. Any other suggests.

Peter :

Either something is stuck around the agitator (most likely) or a the motor is bad.

JACUSTOMER-jgdj05lx- :

How do I get to the agitator

Peter :

The agitator is the disc in the center of the tub. The dome has 4 holes equidistant around the edges. Push in a small screwdriver in one the another screwdriver in the next and lift up on the dome and work around the dome, it will pop off. Then you will find bolts that hold down the agitator, remove and lift up the agitator and look under neath for clothing or whatever she was washing.

Peter :

You may send additional questions directly to me.

If I have answered your question satisfactorily - please press the "ACCEPT" button, as this is the only way we receive pay for our knowledge and time.
Bonuses are GREATLY appreciated as well as feedback.

Thank you,

Peter

JACUSTOMER-jgdj05lx- :

I pulled the agitator completely off and cleaned it. Put it back together and started the wash. Again, I got the code. Does this mean the motor is burned up

JACUSTOMER-jgdj05lx- :

And if the motor is burned up, I'm guessing that it would be easier to buy a new washer.

Peter :

motor or motor control board. Either component is around $200.

JACUSTOMER-jgdj05lx- :

How do I find out which one it is.