Bob L Your  Appl Pal
Bob L Your Appl Pal, Home Appliance Tech
Experience:  23 Years Major Appliance Repair
14958677

I have a Maytag Atlantis washing machine. It does not agitate,

I have a Maytag Atlantis washing machine. It does not agitate, but it does spin. Is the transmission shot? If so, is it worth fixing?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bob L Your Appl Pal replied 5 years ago.
Hi...Bob Here..It fills then stops does nothing..? If so..The water level switch is faulty..This is worth fixing for sure.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The tub fills up with water, then the motor starts to run. The cabinet has a slight vibration, but the agitator in the center of the tub does not move.
Ok great so the motor is running..What you would need to do is remove the agitator..The spline inside the agitator might be worn..Which means the shaft is rotating back and fourth under the agitator ...It is basically slipping.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I removed the agitator and observed the spindle at the bottom of the tub. It is not moving, even though the motor is running.
Is the shaft inside the agitator rotating..?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I removed the white plastic agitator (kind of looks like a fan blade) by unlosening a bolt, and pulled the entire plastic agitator blade. There is a metal shaft that sticks up from the bottom of the tub. I thought it was supposed to rotate back and forth, but it is not moving at all.
That is the transmission shaft..You have just verified that the shaft is not rotating under the agitator..Which means you have transmission problems..Not worth the repair on this unit ..The warranty is 5 years on the transmission..Thanks Bob