Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My Maytag/Amana UMC5200BAB/W/S microwave oven will not heat

My Maytag/Amana UMC5200BAB/W/S microwave oven will not heat up food. It makes a loud humming noise and goes thru all the motions as if its working, but its not. It doesnt do the noise in demo mode (perhaps because it's not supposed to heat up food). We have it since new and its 3 years old.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

If the microwave still looks and sounds like it's working only louder, but it's just not heating--that means your magnetron has likely failed. The magnetron is the part that actually creates the microwave to heat the food and it commonly goes bad and rarely gives a warning. The part itself costs about $100-150 so depending on the condition of the microwave, it may be better to just replace the microwave rather than repair it.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Is the magnetron something that a regular person can replace?( Im a diesel mechanic by trade) or is there some serious risk involved?

the is risk involved because the capacitor chan hold up to 3000 volts, but if you wear rubber gloves or discharge the capacitor you can chance this part yourself