Craig
Craig, Electrical Technician
Experience:  33 years experience electrical troubleshooting industrial equipment and control systems.
21549903

I have a sears gas heater model # XXXXX when I go to

I have a sears gas heater model # XXXXX when I go to plug it into the wall the ground plug sparks and burns the ground plug not allowing me to safely plug it in? could this just be the motor?

Craig :

This is an indication that the appliance has a hot wire that is grounded and causing the spark when plugged in. Inspect all the wiring carefully and look for a burned or pinched wire. There may be a black spot where it's arcing.

Craig :

Do not plug it in until the wire that is grounding out the hot circuit is located.

Craig :

It could even be in the cord itself.

Craig :

Look for a smashed wire or pinched or chewed spot. Do you have a dog that may have chewed it? Any of these things can cause this.

Customer:

alright that sounds great, thanks