SubZero_Wolf Expert
SubZero_Wolf Expert, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Licensed Appliance Journeyman
46655473

My Kenmore electric dryer does not start. I replaced the push

My Kenmore electric dryer does not start. I replaced the push button and still nothing, any ideas?

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

Hello, I can help you with this. There are several temp sensors on the back that can trip and cause this. I would remove the back panel and check the high limits. Are you familiar with a multimeter?

Customer:

I am not familiar with a multimeter....I did take off the back panel and removed the control timer...is the temp sensor on the control timer? What else do I need to get or do?

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

Hello

Customer:

Hi

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

If you remove the back panel you may see a small red button on one of the black thermal sensors. See if you can push the button in as this is a reset. Some models do not have reset and you would need a multimeter to check them.

Customer:

Let me see if my model has this button....I don't recall seeing one from my initial review.....

Customer:

No luck, of course....if it weren't for bad luck I would have no luck at all! So I need a multimeter then.....what are the high limits that I need to check?

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

Sorry for the delay, the chat isn't updating correctly on my screen. There is one high limit near the bottom that is white and rectangular and two black discshaped high limits also. Each of the black limits should show any continuity except open or infinte. The white one should also show continuity from each side of the four wires. (Left to right and top to bottom) Basically any open reading is bad. If you have no power at all check the white one first.

Customer:

Do you think it has anything to do with the actual power cord? Am I checking the wires on the control timer?

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

I doubt the power cord is at fault, the high limits fail very regularly on this machine. You can test the cord for continuity end to end or plug it in and test for 240v at the terminal block. I would test the high limits first and then look at other things if they check ok.

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

Also no need to check at the timer. That's the last thing I would look at if all other components check ok.

Customer:

I will have to purchase a multimeter and then figure out how to use it. The control timer on my machine has a ton of wires going to it and the only other place that has wires is the push start button (that i already replaced) and the power cord.

Customer:

Also I've had this machine for like 10 years and this is the first issue I've had with it.

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

There are wires at the rear of the machine that run the heater and motors and these are in line with the high limits which can cut power to all of the above depending on conditions. If you are not comfortable with the meter please do all checks with the machine unplugged. 240v is very dangerous.

Customer:

So I need to take off the entire back panel then? I had only taken off the small back panel that leads to the buttons that operate the machine. I will have to take another look at the back to see what you are referring to.....will the meter still measure activity with the machine unplugged?

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

The whole back panel. when you are checking for ohm/continuity you do not need or want power at all.

Customer:

Good to know. I will give it a shot tomorrow when I purchase a multimeter. Thanks for your time....wish me luck!