Repairman1981
Repairman1981, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  7 years Repairing Appliances, Factory Trained in Several Major Brands

We have an old Whirlpool upright freezer (Model #1EXV15NWR1).

We have an old Whirlpool upright freezer (Model #1EXV15NWR1). When we opened the door this evening, there was a spark at the right lower corner of the door, and the little indicator light on the front of the door was noted to be out. When I looked more closely, I found a small hole (size of a pinhead) with burn marks around it on the edge of the door, just above the lower hinge. I assume there is a broken/worn/loose wire inside the door that goes to the indicator light. But the door is sealed. Is there some way I can get inside the door to fix or disable that wire?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Repairman1981 replied 2 years ago.

Repairman1981 :

Can you check the model number, the model isn't pulling up? Could a 1 be a I?

Customer:

When I went to the Whirlpool site, they said there was not such model, but they did have a model with the same number minus the "1" at the beginning.

Repairman1981 :

ok .. lemme try that

Customer:

They actually had a parts list, but said they had no parts in stock. I just want to disable the indicator light.

Repairman1981 :

This must be an OLDIE ... there isn't a single part available for it

Repairman1981 :

How old is it?

Repairman1981 :

What is actually on the door? Just an indicator or an actual temp display?

Repairman1981 :

Can you see anything on the outside of the hinge?

Customer:

No idea. My wife says 15-20 years. Know of a good museum?

Repairman1981 :

That would be the place for it

Customer:

On the door: a little rectangular orange light, maybe 1" x 1/2".

Repairman1981 :

With such a general parts lookup and no parts at all available (INCLUDING A WIRING DIAGRAM) I honestly can't tell you anything about this wire

Repairman1981 :

then it is likely a 120v light

Repairman1981 :

however with no wiring diagram I can't tell anything about it

Repairman1981 :

If it's 120v you can just clip and tape up or wire nut up the wires to it

Customer:

If I can figure out where the wire enters the door. It must be through the hinge although I can't quite figure it out. There is no other way.

Repairman1981 :

that will be it

Repairman1981 :

Usually a piece of plastic or something covers the wiring so you can't touch it and shock yourself

Customer:

There is a black box about 5" big under the freezer near the hinge. The plate with the model number on it is on the front of that metal box. Any idea what that is? I can't feel any wires coming out of it (only a ground wire attached to the frame), but I'm wondering if that is where the wire comes from.

Repairman1981 :

should be, if you can remove it you can likely see the wire either way

Customer:

I may have to try that. Another option is to remove the top hinge and lift the door off of the bottom hinge. Hopefully this will expose enough of the wire that I can cut it off and put a wire nut on it. I was going to ask your recommendation about which way to go, but apparently you're not familiar with these indicator lights on the door? Something of a bygone era?

Repairman1981 :

yep you can do that as well, I would say it goes in from the bottom since that was where it popped. You need to unplug before you attempt this

Repairman1981 :

I have worked on this same model (changed a few evap fans etc)

Customer:

Obviously.

Repairman1981 :

However I have NEVER taken a door off one nor have I seen a wire spark like this to the frame

Repairman1981 :

I would say your on the right track, and capping it is your only option, but without a diagram or a schematic to go off of it's very hard to "expertly" help you

Customer:

I understand. The wiring can't be that difficult; I just need to get to it. This, of course, may take a little while. In fact, I may not be able to get to it tomorrow. Does this now close our ticket, or will you (or someone else) be available in case I have a question as I attack the freezer?

Customer:

(I meant "...until tomorrow.")

Repairman1981 :

I will be available all day tomorrow, I would say for tonight it's closed. Please remember to leave feedback after clicking accept and have a great rest of your evening. You will get a link back to this chat after doing so and there are no further charges to connect. Thanks!

Customer:

Thanks. I'll try to give you a report either way.

Experience: 7 years Repairing Appliances, Factory Trained in Several Major Brands