Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

GE says my GE Profile convection microwave model peb1590sm1ss

GE says my GE Profile convection microwave model peb1590sm1ss does not have a demo mode...but it's acting like it in one. Everything seems to function but doesn't heat. Is there any secret demo mode? and how to turn it off?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

If the microwave still looks and sounds like it's working, but it's just not heating--that means your magnetron has likely failed. The magnetron is the part that actually creates the microwave to heat the food and it commonly goes bad and rarely gives a warning. The part itself costs about $100 so depending on the condition of the microwave, it may be better to just replace the microwave rather than repair it. Below is the magnetron for your microwave you'll need to order.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Would this still be true if it's a convection/microwave and the convection also does not work?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
it could be yes, but it would more likely be that your control board is bad if both convection and microwave stopped working.