Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

why is my kitchenaid frige so loud and can i quiet it down

Customer Question

why is my kitchenaid frige so loud? and can i quiet it down any?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Is it loud all the time? If you open the freezer is the noise louder? Where is the noise coming from exactly? Do you have a model number?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

no it is loud a few times a day for about 5 min at a time. but i feel like it is really loud.

FYI - it is side by side 58 inch

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
they don't make 58" refrigerator, there are only 48" refrigerators made by Kitchen Aid, regardless, where is the noise coming from and what does it sound like? How long does the sound last for?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

whoops 48 - it is from the top and it sound like a hum - lasts for usually 5 min or less

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
this could be the compressor or it could the condenser fan motor. Probably the best thing to do to know what is causing the issue and what part needs to be replaced is to just wait until the noise happens and remove the front panel above the doors. Then you can stop the fan with a pencil or something and if the noise goes away, replace the fan motor or replace the compressor if the noise continues with the fan stalled.