SubZero_Wolf Expert
SubZero_Wolf Expert, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Licensed Appliance Journeyman

The unit is a 601 freezer with 4 drawers on the bottom and

The unit is a 601 freezer with 4 drawers on the bottom and the right top of those drawers is a ice maker drawer. I found a sheet of ice on the bottom encasing the bottom two drawers. I cleaned it out and then noticed a 2 x 3 sheet metal tube going all the way across the freezer just below the lowest shelf on the back wall and above the back of the top drawer. There was a gap above the tube that is now one solid piece of ice. Do I just clean out the ice and watch the unit closely or do I have a bigger problem? Where is all the water coming from? The unit is currently set a -5 degs. Jim
Category: Appliance
Expert:  SubZero_Wolf Expert replied 5 years ago.

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

Hello, I can help you with this. You have a failed heater on your defrost system. Are you comfortable with hand tools and a voltage meter?

Yes I am, what next?

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

You will need to remove the back panel above the drawers and gain access to the three heaters. You can test each for continuity and determine which is failed. There is a large heater in the cooling tubes another under the trough that catches the water and a third in the drain tube that the water flows into. the other option is there is a kit containing the latter two heaters with an improved design available from Sub-Z. Let me know what you find. Thanks, Sam