Repairman1981
Repairman1981, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  10 years Repairing Appliances, Factory Trained in Several Major Brands Self employed owner at All Better Appliance
41736587

Whirlpool dishwasher turns on pumps water and when motor kicks

Whirlpool dishwasher turns on pumps water and when motor kicks in it hums and does not run. Everything on control panel looks fine.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Repairman1981 replied 5 years ago.

Repairman1981 :

How long does it run normally?

Customer:

Not quite sure what you are asking...normal cycle is it starts runs a few minutes, stops and starts a few times and them runs continually until cycle is complete...I assume the initial start and stop is a pre-soak step. It has run fine since we bought it, this is the first problem we've had. The unit is over 2 years old but I believe less than 3.

Repairman1981 :

I thought you said it kicks in hums and does not run?

Repairman1981 :

If the pump runs, what is your question?

Customer:

Perhaps I did not express myself well. When you turn the unit on water starts going to the unit however motor does not start right away which is the normal delay. After a few minutes, when the unit was working the motor would start and washing cycle began, now instead of running it starts humming but does not run.

Customer:

...don't know if this is important but you can hit the "Cancel Drain" button and it will empty the dishwasher

Repairman1981 :

There are seperate motors

Repairman1981 :

Did you actually take apart the filter and check the pump, or did you just shine a light down in the middle

Customer:

I did not take anything apart, I was intending on doing that but felt some direction would be in order and I'm not sure how to remove things to get down inside.

Repairman1981 :

oh ok .... well best case scenario something is wedged in the pump

Repairman1981 :

Worst case you have a bad pump

Repairman1981 :

get you a T15 and a T20 torx screw driver handy and a pair of needle nose pliers and let's dive in

Customer:

Can you give me step by step that I can follow tomorrow morning as I cannot get into it at this time. I was hoping for instructions and possibly a detail drawing (something from a service manual)

Repairman1981 :

Best I can do is a parts drawing

Repairman1981 :

I can't really do a perfect step by step from memory, I will do the best I can

Repairman1981 :

You unscrew counter clockwise the spray arm, then remove the 3 screws you can see

Repairman1981 :

Then you rotate the piece hooked to the back spray tower

Repairman1981 :

And you can then remove it and remove the other (4th) screw you cannot see

Repairman1981 :

Then you lift out the filter system

Repairman1981 :

Once you remove this some models have 2 screws left down in there, some have just 1 but either 1 screw holding a plastic panel and 1 holding the pump cover, or just 1 holding the pump cover

Repairman1981 :

Use the needle nose pliers to remove the pump cover and your looking at the pump impeller

Repairman1981 :

You can see if anything is wedged in there

Repairman1981 :

Just reverse to put back toegther. Thanks!

Repairman1981 :

When you click accept it will email you a copy of this chat and a link to return, if you need any more clarification once you return here I can help you .... however this is pretty much step by steop

Repairman1981 :

Please remember to leave feedback after clicking accept and have a great rest of the day.

Customer:

Can you please send me parts drawing?

graphic