Bob L Your  Appl Pal
Bob L Your Appl Pal, Home Appliance Tech
Experience:  23 Years Major Appliance Repair
14958677

I have a GE Profile JGS968SEK1SS gas oven/range. The broiler

I have a GE Profile JGS968SEK1SS gas oven/range. The broiler is working but the oven (including in convection mode) will not heat up. the electric element that ignites the gas burner will not get warm. do i need to replace the electric element or could something else be the problem.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bob L Your Appl Pal replied 5 years ago.
Hi...Bob Here..Yes..More than likely the igniter is faulty..You can check this with a simple circuity tester..Remove the bottom inner floor of the oven..Use the tester to check for power in the wire harness leading to the igniter..#136..It is a simple replacement..The igniter has a plastic connector..Remove the old..Replace with the new..Thanks Bob

CLICK HERE FOR PART

graphic

Please accept my answer for my time helping you on your question today or let me know if you have any further questions..Thanks Bob

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks Bob, all sounds right. Does the igniter also have to reach temperature before the gas will flow to the burner?

My biggest problem is that one of the screws holding the igniter will not come out. It just turns and will not unscrew. I'll need to cut the screw off to get the igniter out so I'm trying to find a way to do that.

Either way I should be able to test the power to the plug, right?