Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I own a Kenmore Elite Oasis top load washing machine that is

I own a Kenmore Elite Oasis top load washing machine that is about 3 years old. I noticed a dark brown/black slimey/greasy spatter under the washing machine after it washes. The spatter sometimes extends a few inches in front of the machine. I took the back cover off and saw nothing. I turned the machine on its side and can see a series of holes on the bottom rotating tub unit. The holes show possible signs of passing the black spatter from inside the unit when it spins. I don't know where the black stuff is coming from. Can you help.
Larry
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

If you're getting black under the washer, it means that your main bearing and seal (part of the outer tub) is bas and allowing water to drip down into the bearing causing grease to leak out. You'll need to order and replace the entire outer plastic tub to fix the issue which has the seal and bearing built into it.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Can I replace the tub myself or do I need a repair person? What would this part cost? Is the repair cost of my 3 year old washer nearing the cost of a new unit?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
You would probably want a repair person to such an involved job. The repair would be about $300-350 or so. I'm not sure how much your unit was new but its definitely not going to be more expensive than a new unit to repair it. I would probably repair the unit if the repair is less than 50% of the cost of a new washer since the washer is only 3 years old.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Who do I call for repairs? Should I use the phone book or does Kenmore have authorized repair personnel?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
Kenmore's only authorized repairmen are Sears themselves. So you can call Sears for repairs if you want, or you can call anyone that services Whirlpool washers because Whirlpool makes this unit for Sears.