John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.

maytag fridge - freezer bottom drawer - Why is the freezer

Customer Question

maytag fridge - freezer bottom drawer - Why is the freezer leaking water on the floor?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you.

Is the frost on top of the freezer food almost like a snow happened in the freezer? Has it also stopped cooling in the fresh food section? Also do you have an ice maker and if so is the bar lifted to shut the ice maker off?

Barry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Barry,
Yes frost looks like snow
Yes still cooling in fresh food section
Yes icemaker bar lifted
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Hi Jen,

Can you tell that there is still more water coming in at the present time? Also I should have asked have you turned the water off to the refrigerator?

Barry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I pulled the fridge out and no water in traveling through either of the 2 small hoses. I did not turn water off. Should I? How do I?
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
If you are seeing new water come in you need to follow the water line from the refrigerator to where it connects to the water line in your house. That line may run directly to a valve you can turn off or it may T into a pipe that has a valve on it. Take all the time you need and try to find that and get it turned off. I will be here.

Barry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK, I turned the water valve off to the house
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Whew, when you had the ice maker off were you still seeing new water come in anyway?

Barry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, and there is a layer of solid ice on the bottom of freezer, like it melts and then refreezes.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
What about the ice maker was there ice cycles hanging from it? There could be 2 causes and I am trying to get at which it is in case you are wondering.

Barry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Icicles hanging from area around light but not from the icemaker itself
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Jen that really sounds like the door was left open a bit, when that happens there is a light snow on the food and can cause ice cycles also eventually the fresh food stops cooling.

Do you think there is enough ice on the floor to keep the door from closing all the way shut? Or make it hard to shut?

Barry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I thought that too. But, I poured hot water on the ice yesterday and got rid of it. I also checked the seal and it's tight. In fact it is pretty hard to open. I took the grill off the back and I see some greenish stuff on 2 copper parts (sorry I don't know what they are) like maybe they have been leaking.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
The green is a compound called flux that is used to solder copper joints with. It tends to cause the splotches of green here and there on the copper.

I think your defrost drain is probably clogged, what happens is at the rear of the freezer behind that wall are some coils. Under those coils is a heater that comes on every 10 hours to defrost the coils so it is frost free. The water drains out of a tube under the rear of the refrigerator into a pan where that water evaporates. Since that is such a big job to do from inside the freezer I suggest you do it from the outside by defrosting the refrigerator over night first to melt any ice that is behind that wall and then clearing the tube from behind the refrigerator. For anyone I would suggest that if they have not had that drawer off.

What do you think, would you want to do it that way?

Barry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So do i unplug the refrigerator or is there a way to just do the freezer (sorry I'm so lame)
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
The only way you can do that is to unplug the whole refrigerator, Your not lame, you should see some of the questions I get from the men around here LOL. I won't say what I think about that.

Yes I really think thats the best way to do it because if you go at it from the inside the drawer has to come off, the ice maker has to come out and then the rear freezer wall has to come out.

The other way is to unplug it overnight and use something flexible to push into the tube,,something that is not metal. Be sure you bookmark this page so you can return.

Barry

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks so much for your help, that's what I'll do.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Ok great, you are welcome. You can give me a shout in the morning. I will be here. You will need something along the lines of 1/4 inch plastic tubing or something that kind of like that and flexible. I am not sure what you have around your house but anything that you can push into a tube that will bend around a curve will work.

Barry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
You are welcome,

See you then,
Barry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Did you get my last reply? jennifer
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Hello Jennifer, this is the first reply I have received.

Barry
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Hello Jennifer, this is the first reply I have received. Are you there? It is 10:20 eastern time. I have to head out for 2 hours leave a post.

Barry