Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
60802242

My Miele dishwasher wont start. The program selector light

Customer Question

My Miele dishwasher wont start. The program selector light is blinking.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Jon replied 3 years ago.

Jon Grella :

hello

Jon Grella :

have you checked to see if the door was completely closed?

Jon Grella :

sometimes the latch doesn"t seat correctly

Jon Grella :

or maybe water to valve is turned off

Jon Grella :

we can run through the diagnosis process if you would like

Jon Grella :

just get back to me when you are ready

Jon Grella :

hello

Jon Grella :

how are you?

Customer:

good morning. Water is on and even cleaned the in line filter before asking the orginal question. any help would be great

Customer:

water is on and even cleaned in line filter. dorr seal is good and tight

Jon Grella :

ok

Jon Grella :

it wont fill when turned on?

Jon Grella :

did u intereupt last cycle early before this problem?

Customer:

nothing happens when i shut the door.

Jon Grella :

what light is flashing?

Jon Grella :

just the selector light?

Customer:

pots and pans selector light is flashing rapidly (green)

Jon Grella :

was that the cycle you selected?

Jon Grella :

if not , turn power off to machine for 5 mins at breaker then turn on again and hold cancel button on machine for ten seconds then try it again

Customer:

the rinse light is on but not blinking. whenever i turn it off and on again and then select a new cycle and close the door, the same thing occurs. washer doesnt start and then light blinks

Jon Grella :

does it try to drain or do you hear a humming?

Customer:

power is now off. BTW, what is the cancel button ?(on and off button?)

Customer:

there is no noise at all. doesnt make a sound. there is a small amount of water within the drain area below where i removed the triple filters

Jon Grella :

do you have cancel button or do you have to hit 2 buttons togfether to cancel?

Customer:

i usually just turn the on and off button when i want to reselect. there is no cancel button. I can send you a photo of my control panel if you like

Jon Grella :

sure

Jon Grella :

i can look it up too

Jon Grella :

it sounds like you either need the computer or touch pad

Customer:

i will send a photo while we are waiting the 5 minutes. i assume its pretty easy to send one with this messaging program. hang tight

Jon Grella :

yes. just hit paperclip on top to attach a photo

Jon Grella :

what is the model number on the machine? it can be found either on the inside side wall of the machine or the side of the door.

Customer:

Full Size Image

Jon Grella :

ok. thanks. do you have use and care manual?

Customer:

i will power it back up when you advise on the cancel button

Customer:

yes i have the manual

Jon Grella :

ok. it should tell you how to reset the machine. if not i will get the instruction for you

Jon Grella :

checking now

Customer:

i see how to reset to factory settings. is that what you are suggesting?

Jon Grella :

ok. power back on

Jon Grella :

does the intake/drain light flash when you start it?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

oops power is on but nno comment yet on the inatake light.

Jon Grella :

here is how youy reset the computer. power back up an follow these instructions Factory default
All settings can be reset to the factory
default.
^ Open the door.
^ Turn the dishwasher off o.
^ Press the program button and at the
same time turn the dishwasher on g.
Hold the program button until the
lower right program indicator comes
on.
If it does not come on, start over.
^ Press the program button 12 times.
The "Intake/Drain" indicator flashes
once long and twice short in intervals.
The upper right program indicator
shows if a setting was changed.
– The upper right program indicator
flashes:
All settings are the factory default.
– The upper right program indicator is
off:
At least one setting was changed.
^ To change the setting, press the
program button until the
"Intake/Drain" indicator lights.
^ Press the program button briefly
three times.
The setting is saved.
^ Turn the dishwasher off o.
Additional functions
29

Customer:

powered back up, selected a program and shut door. only the program i slecetd is blinking after i open it up again. once again, no noise from machine when i closed the dorr to strat it

Jon Grella :

if reset doesn't fix problem you will need a new control board

Customer:

i will reset

Jon Grella :

k. let me know if you have troubles or if it doesnt fix problem. i will be here

Customer:

reset until bottom right light came on. now multiple lights blinking intermittantly

Jon Grella :

what lights blink? it could be an error code

Customer:

intake drain light blinks and sani wash light blinks. rinse light is on constantly

Jon Grella :

ok.

Jon Grella :

the machine is sensing the an error with the intake or drain pump and circulator pump

Jon Grella :

you said earlier that you cleaned out the inner filter inside the machine correct?

Jon Grella :

was there any food o rther objects in it?

Jon Grella :

you will need to check to see if there is any clog in the water inlet valve

Jon Grella :

we will do that in one minute

Customer:

there was a few years of build up and i removed it, cleaned the filters but there is still some water at the very bottom. i assume thats normal

Jon Grella :

yes.

Jon Grella :

a few years of build up inside the filter is not

Customer:

no clog in water inlket. I cleaned that filter out last night and checked. i ran thru all the giagnostuic stuff per the m,anual already then contacted you guys

Jon Grella :

there could have been some food or broken glass or other foreign material that got into the circulator pump and seized the motor

Jon Grella :

ok. good about the water filter, one less thing to check.

Customer:

wow that was some bad typing... diagnostic

Jon Grella :

i got the idea. dont worry about it

Jon Grella :

very important here what i am abou to tell you what to look for

Jon Grella :

when you turn the machine on and select a cycle like you would do normally , and close the door to start it, does the machine fill with water? or no water filling at all then the machine stops and lights flash?

Customer:

nothing happens. no noise, no water, nada. when i reopen the door, its blinking.

Jon Grella :

if it doesn't fill at all, you will need a new water proof intake system, if it does you wiull need the circulator pump

Jon Grella :

ok. i will get you the part number for the water proof system. and when it comes in, i can walk you through the repair and installation step by step.

Jon Grella :

i will need you to hit the green accept button below so i can help you further.

Jon Grella :

you will just be charged the one time now. and if you have any other questions you can ask away. for no other charge.

Customer:

how confident are you that this is the fix?

Jon Grella :

very confident

Jon Grella :

i see this problem day in and day out.

Jon Grella :

i am an authorirezed miele service tech so i see this problem alot

Jon Grella :

i can also get you the part cheap through a website on line that is an authorized parts dealer

Customer:

where do i order the part and how long will it take?

Jon Grella :

the part number for the water proof system is(NNN) NNN-NNNN and you can order it from www.searspartsdirect.com, or www.marcone.com, or www.repairclinic.com, or www.partselect.com

Jon Grella :

either of those places will have it for you or you can go direct tghrough miele at www.mieleservice.com

Jon Grella :

it should only take a couple of day to get to you

Customer:

i am not familiar with your services so i am not sure how to contact you for the replacement instructions

Jon Grella :

once you hit accept you will be directed to another chat where you will be in constant contact with me. you can email me directly there. and there ican give you the instructions you need

Jon Grella :

this is a very trusted site and if you are not happy with any of the services, they will offwer a full refund

Customer:

thank you Jon. i appreciate your insight

Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
Expert:  Jon replied 3 years ago.
thank you for accepting.

you can always log back into this website and come here to ask any questions or when you get the parts.

just let me know when they come in and i will walk you through it all.

thanks again. and i will talk to you soon.