Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.

We have a whirlpool estate side by side model TS22AG. The

We have a whirlpool estate side by side model TS22AG. The divider between the refrig and freezer is hot to the touch, seems to run alot and noisy.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you.

Go around behind the unit and remove the lower panel.

Is the fan back there working as well? Let me know when you can.

Thanks,
Barry

CLICK TO ENLARGE
graphic
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
The only other thing that will cause that are coils that fan cools need cleaning. Those coils where that fan is are cooled by that fan. Then the next place the line goes from that coilset is between the doors to warm the area where the gaskets meet the metal to keep the moisture down so that mold is less likely to form on the door gaskets.

There is one other thing that can cause that and that is a compressor going bad. What you need to do if you suspect this is happening is listen for a click or a buzz and a click coming from the rear outside of the refrigerator over the next few days. If you hear that then you are going to need call around to see what the costs for the labor for a compressor replacement in your area are. That means you will have to call for a compressor or blockage repair and the following questions are the ones that you should ask before accepting an agreement for an appliance repair.

Do you have a license to recover freon?
(They must be licensed its federal law) That way they just cannot come out without you knowing and charge you then leave because they do not have one.

What is the minimum you charge for a sealed system blockage repair?

Please and lastly ask them to bring the tools needed to repair a blockage. They may find the part of your unit that is clogged and be able to repair it that day, that could save a second trip charge. I can tell you a compressor retails for $330 for that unit.

This will give you some idea if you want to repair it or not. Please ask if you have questions about anything.

Barry

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The fan was running but has stopped after we rechecked.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 2 years ago.
Put a desk fan or a window fan back there to cool temporarily. That cools the compressor as well and that will keep it going for you until you get a fan motor, it will need replaced, you may be able to get it going temporarily but usually it stops because the bearings in the motor have worn out. The part number for the fan motor is(NNN) NNN-NNNN

The price for that part is $81 AT SEARS HERE. You can also use that part number to shop locally to get that fan. Be sure to unplug the refrigerator before replacing this part. There is a nut on the end of the motor shaft that comes off so you can get the blade off. Loosen that first and then remove the motor bracked screws from the housing then once you have the motor out you can remove the 3 brackets from the motor.

Please ask if you have questions.
Barry
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.