John, restaurant equipment technician
Experience:  25+ years experience. I'm now employed by a commercial cooking equipment service company

Rm255barb displays the correct temperature but itnhas really

Customer Question

Rm255barb displays the correct temperature but itnhas really quit cooling. Unplugging the fridge and plugging it back in shows the right temperature and it then starts cooling. But not for very long.

I have replaced the power supply board and the main mother board.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.

If the controller shows no error codes, and the compressor turns on, you probably have a low refrigerant charge in the sealed system. If you do, you'll need a refrigeration technician to find out why.

If my answer helps you, please click on the 'accept' button. That's how we experts are paid for our efforts.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I get a 98 88 code when it is in diagnostic mode after startup. I believe that is a communications error of some sort according to the manual but the main logic board was replaced.

Could it still be low refrigerant if it does cool down to expected temps before it quits working. The longer it is unplugged, the longer it seems to work before it quits cooling.

Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
It's more likely a problem with the temperature sensor. The sensor sends a reference signal to the control board in order to regulate the interior temperature.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Ok. When it it working the temp readouts align with a reference themometer. Perhaps there is an intermittent wiring problem. I also suspect a bimetal termister - I believe there are 4. I need to test them. I have an assumption that the fridge quits updating the displayed temp when it enters defrost mode until the cycle finishes.

Perhaps it quits updating the displayed temp when a com error is detected. After I unplug the fridge the temperature readouts are always correct, but the two configurable compartments don't have readouts.

Thanks for your help.

Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
You're welcome.