Repairman1981
Repairman1981, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  7 years Repairing Appliances, Factory Trained in Several Major Brands
41736587

I have a Kenmore dishwasher 665-15894100 and water is coming

I have a Kenmore dishwasher 665-15894100 and water is coming into the dishwasher even when it is not running. The water then leaks out the front of the washer. It does appear a new front door seal is needed but there is no leak when the dishwasher is running. My main concern is the water initially leaking into the dishwasher.

Thank,
Steve
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Repairman1981 replied 2 years ago.

Repairman1981 :

When you say leaks out the front, do you mean under it or from the door?

Customer:

it appears to be from the door

Repairman1981 :

but once it sprays it's fine?

Repairman1981 :

This would be a bad (sticking open) water valve or a bad water level sensor

Repairman1981 :

All it could be if it's over filling and then when spraying doesn't leak

Repairman1981 :

The bottom of the door isnt really sealed. It just has a "wave breaker" on it. BUt if the level is too deep it could run out easily

Customer:

Is the bad water value difficult to change? because the water is leaking or running even when the dishwasher isn't running.....such as through the night

Repairman1981 :

not at all

Repairman1981 :

then it's a valve

Repairman1981 :

That is the only way it can fill when the dishwasher isn't running

Repairman1981 :

Lemme get you a part number ... will take a min ... sears's site is very slow

Customer:

what is your thought about the float

Customer:

it becomes ineffective becasue the value is stuck open?

Repairman1981 :

It isn't used at all if the valve is stuck open, and the float is only used when the machine is running. If it leaks while unused it cannot be the float

Repairman1981 : (NNN) NNN-NNNNis the part number, You can order from Marcone by calling at 1-XXX-XXX-XXXX or through Repairclinic.com whichever is easier for you. Both appear to have it in stock.
Repairman1981 :

It's about 50 bucks

Repairman1981 :

To change it you just have to remove the kickplate

Repairman1981 :

And there is one screw holding it in

Repairman1981 :

And the valve pulls out

Repairman1981 :

If you have a flex water line to it it's very easy to change

Repairman1981 :

If it's a copper water line you need to unhook it BEFORE removing the valve or you will never get it reattached without it leaking if you don't

Repairman1981 :

The compression rings don't have a lot of play room in them. So if you bend the copper expect it to not fill well

Repairman1981 :

fit back well

Customer:

I'll give it a try, thanks

Repairman1981 :

If you have more trouble once you get it in .... return to THIS QUESTION and there are no further charges. Don't open a new question or they will charge you again. Please do remember to leave feedback after clicking accept and have a great rest of the evening. You will get a copy of this chat emailed to you, and do use this question if you have ANY trouble installing it

Repairman1981 :

I have done hundreds of these, so I have seen it all

Experience: 7 years Repairing Appliances, Factory Trained in Several Major Brands