The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years repairing appliances
3079445

My Whirlpool duet front -loading washer has stopped working--displays

Customer Question

My Whirlpool duet front -loading washer has stopped working--displays a flashing F 70,had also shown f 71 but that went away . I had called the 800 number but she could't help me after unplugging power and hitting pause/cancel twice. Whirlpool's recommended serviceman is 50 miles away==no answer from them. Please help me figure out what to do next. Does F 70 mean I have a big problem with out warrenty coverage. Washer is 18 months old
Category: Appliance
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 3 years ago.

The Home Smithy :

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. If the answer I provide for you is helpful, please click 'ACCEPT'. I won't be paid if you don't. Thank you.

The Home Smithy :

I will need the model number of your unit to look this up for you.
Please click here for help locating the model number.
Thank you.

Customer :

wfw9400sw03 Duet

The Home Smithy :

Thank you. One moment please.

The Home Smithy :

You have either a central control unit heartbeat failure or a user interface heartbeat failure.
Please see the tech sheet for more information and testing procedures.
Please click here to download the tech sheet for your unit.

The Home Smithy :

Give me a minuet and I will upload a service manual that will help you with the disassembly of the control consol.

The Home Smithy :

Please click here to download the manual.

The Home Smithy :

Of course if you have any follow up questions please post them here. I will be happy to assist you further if needed.

The Home Smithy :

Please let me know if you require further assistance, or information.
If not, please click on "ACCEPT".
After you accept, please leave feedback.
Thank you.

Customer :

I'm happy to see this service manual=I dont have a printer to make a hard copy for my use. Will this service manual be available to me on line? Can you e mail it to me? I would accept after I know if I can read and have this service manual available to me and my handyman. Thank you

The Home Smithy :

You can save it to your computers hard drive. One moment and Ill get you a picture that will help you do this.

The Home Smithy :

Full Size Image

Customer :

I'm not good with a computer,as you can probably tell

The Home Smithy :

Not a problem. Were you able to save the file?

Customer :

My son in law is going to show up within 30 min. to help me . Thanks for being patient.

The Home Smithy :

No problem at all. I will be on line all morning if you need further assistance.

Customer :

Just wondering if you could please e-mail the .pdf file of the service manual. Or re-send the link to download the file from. I will try to figure it out on this end. Thank you! --Chris (son-in-law ;^) )

The Home Smithy :

The Home Smithy :

Hi Cris.
Please click here
to download the manual.

Customer :

thank you--download successful; however it appears to be the wrong manual ( this is for the 8500 series), We need the manual for the Whirlpool WFW9400SW03Duet Washer.

Customer :

thanks

The Home Smithy :

The manual may not indicate that it is for your specific model but according to the tech site it is the correct one.

Customer :

We just found the correct service manuel inserted in the cabinet of the washer. Thanks for all your time but I dont want an incorrect manuel especially since we found the correct one

The Home Smithy :

That would be the tech sheet not the service manual. The service manual I provided covers many different models. The tech sheet provides specific testing information for your model.

The Home Smithy :

If not, please click on "ACCEPT".
Thank you.

Customer :

I'm not accepting because I dont feel that you gave me the correct service manual and we did find the correct information in what we found in the washer. thanks again but I wont accept.

The Home Smithy :

Thats ok. I understand. I hope you understand that I can only provide you with ingormation that I get from the tech site and my personal knowlege of your appliance. When an error code like the one you have appears on the screen it indicates a failure in the main control board(s). You will have to replace the control board, or the user interface to repair your unit. Which one depends on if the drum is rotating or not. That information is in the tech sheet you found in your unit. Just look up the error code and you will see what I mean.