John, restaurant equipment technician
Experience:  25+ years experience. I'm now employed by a commercial cooking equipment service company

Question is on a Tappen Range

Customer Question

Question is on a Tappen Range
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.

The thermocouple connects to the gas valve with either two electrical type connectors or a threaded nut. From your description of the gas problem, I suspect that the thermocouple is'nt the cause. It sounds like the gas valve is stuck in the open postion.

Tappan company stopped manufacturing home appliances years ago, so parts from them are no longer available. You can still take parts to a local gas appliance servicer to match them. The parts continue to be used in appliances.

If my answer helps you, please click on the 'accept' button. That's how we experts are paid for our efforts.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanx for info.....will check this out and get back to you later today.....
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
OK. Thank you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I've located the valve assembly and thermocouple connection. The thermocouple goes thru the back wall of the oven via a circular cap with 2 screws to attach the cap. The electrical connectors to the valve are slightly corroded.......Cleaned somewhat. Concerned oven is so old (40 years) will not be able to find replacement parts. how do i check to see if control valve is stuck open? vs the thermocouple?
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
If the gas you detect comes from the main burner, the gas valve is stuck open. If it's coming from the pilot assembly, the problem is with the pilot valve in the gas valve. In either case, you'll need to replace the gas valve. It's a good idea to replace the thermocouple, as well.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
another quick question....Is there any reason there is no shut off valve to the oven and stove? My pilot seems to be working ok now but a safety precaution would be to shut off the gas to the oven. This a summer home and we are not here all the time.
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
Installing a manual shutoff valve in the gas supply line is an excellent way to reduce the fire hazard. You can buy one at a hardware store. Make certain that it's rated for gas use, not water.