Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
11179659

avanti ra756wt refrigerator stopped cooling. the freezer frosted

avanti ra756wt refrigerator stopped cooling. the freezer frosted up first, than i moved it to another office and it will not cool at all. when i connected the power, i heard a click and after a few seconds and thats it. the compressor got hot after a few hours. the lights work.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you.

Does the compressor run at all before it trips the overload on the side of it? How hot is it getting. Can you hold your hand on the top of it? And was it turned on immediately after being moved?

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
it doesn't run at all. i could hold my hand on it if i remember correctly. it wasn't turned on immediately after being moved. it never tilted on it's side. i just turned it back on and after about 3 seconds heard a click. after about 2 minutes i heard 2 or three more clicks. i just heard 2 more clicks.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
That part on the side of the compressor is an overload and relay set. What its supposed to do is sense a load of current being drawn by the compressor that is higher than normal, then trip once. About 3 minutes later reset and do the same thing again.

There is nothing that moving would have to do with that unless something got stirred in the oil in the compressor and circulated through the freon system hanging up in the capillary tube of the system and that does not sound like the case. When that happens again the compressor will run for a few seconds then click off, and the compressor will be hot, in some cases very hot.

When a compressor goes bad that too can trip the overload but again the compressor becomes very hot.

What you are describing sounds to me like a bad overload and relay set on the compressor, and because of the lack of heat leads me to believe that is the problem. A compressor that is getting the power that its supposed to get will heat up if its trying to start. I would try a new overload and relay. These are located where the wires go on the side of the compressor arrowed red below.

Its a guess if you have an ohm meter you can test the compressor but that will not tell you if the there is a clogged capillary tube. Ohm the compressor pin to pin. All 3 pins to each other, the same pins arrowed below and you should get between 5 and 10 ohms. Anything else is bad. Also you can ohm each pin to a ground point on the frame of the unit and you should get an infinity reading on each pin. Anything else is bad.

Barry
CLICK TO ENLARGE
graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
on friday the compressor was hot and was probably pretty hot. it isn't hot at all now and as you mentioned, it is clicking about every 3 minutes now. it's a click and then about 3 taps, then a another different sounding click.

where can i purchase the overload and relay set?
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
What you will need to do is take a picture of the wiring or make a diagram of where the wires are attached. And then you will need to take that part along with your model number to the nearest appliance parts store and let them match it for you. I cannot look it up by model number as Avanti either does not release that information to sears or sears does not have it online for some unknown reason.

I can tell you though if that compressor go too hot to hold your hand on you probably are not going to have any luck. A weak overload and relay set will not heat a compressor. The part just don't allow enough current to flow to heat the compressor when bad.

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
One last question just to make sure I understand. You said:

"I can tell you though if that compressor go too hot to hold your hand on you probably are not going to have any luck. A weak overload and relay set will not heat a compressor. The part just don't allow enough current to flow to heat the compressor when bad."

Are you saying that because the compreesor got hot the other day and now it won't get hot at all that it's probably no more good and the relay wouldn't do me any good, keeping in mind that the compressor was hot but not running?
Expert:  Barry G. replied 3 years ago.
Yes that is correct. To try and overload and relay set is almost always cheaper than having a tech come in and try. Usually more than half as cheap. And its something you can do yourself. Anything more needed would require a service valve to be welded on so guages could be attached. If you have to go that far you are looking at around $350 to $400. Thats to find out if the compressor is good or not. So after that you may be needing parts.

I know its not a promising answer but its the least expensive way to go. And you will know for sure yourself what will need to be done without having to call a tech in and have them do it. Its the best that can be done under the circumstances.

Barry
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you