Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

My dryer wont put out heat. It spins and puts out cold air

Customer Question

My dryer won't put out heat. It spins and puts out cold air just not hot. We pulled the back off and vacuumed out as much as we could but it still won't put heat out.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

Can you open the door and get me the full model number?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It is GEW9250PWO
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Okay most likely your heater has failed, do you have a voltmeter?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Okay good, under the door in the front there is an access panel, there are screws way down the bottom of this panel almost under the machine, you almost have to lay on the floor and look under to see them unplug the machine and take the access panel off, on the right side you going to see the heater tube that has the heating element in it. There are two larger wires usually red right at the front of the heater on the left side of the heater can, remove one wire and test the heating element for continuity, if you click this link it will show you how to test it, there is a video. let me know if the heating element is good.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
There is no continuity. How do I remove the heating element?
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
I'm sorry I was off-line for a few minutes, okay on the very side where you tested it there is a 1/4" screw right near the white ceramic piece we you tested the connections, you need to remove that screw and slide the element straight out, sometimes these are really tight you may need to grab it with a pair of pliers pull, just make sure you disconnect the wires before pulling out, then the new one just slides right in put the screw in and the wires on in your done, the part number is.(NNN) NNN-NNNNso if you have a local warehouse where you can buy one that's the one you need if not you can order this on line at the following link, good job ! And thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Ok. What if I twisted where it's broken. Will it work temporarily until I can afford a new element. I was able to remove it and saw where it broke.

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Well the wire is usually kinda brittle and may work for a few loads you would really need to get really tightly twisted together, and there will be a hot spot there which could burn up after a few loads but you never know, it could last a month I just can't be sure, I understand about being short money wise, I guess it wouldn't hurt to try, I hope it works for you, please don't forget to press the green accept button when we are done here, it's the only way I get paid for helping you, very best wishes and thanks, Bryan