John, restaurant equipment technician
Experience:  25+ years experience. I'm now employed by a commercial cooking equipment service company

Hello. We have a Water Heater problem. Whirlpool Model

Hello. We have a Water Heater problem. Whirlpool Model ee2h50rd045v

Unit seems to be working fine.  No problems.  But, smelled something burning.  Checked unit and saw the cover for control panel had a burned spot on top left.  Opened control panel and found that the 2 capped wires on top left were burned.  I think they are Red and Yellow.  Hard to tell.  Reset unit and came back Green.  Need to address those wires.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
There should be enough wire to remove the damaged portions and remake the connections. If there are standard wire nuts on the wiring, replace the with the type that has a set screw and a threaded plastic cap for a more secure connection. If the wires are connected directly to the thermostat, and the connections are discolored, it's a good idea to replace the thermostat, as well. You can find these items at a good hardware store.

If my answer helps you, please click on the 'accept' button. That's how we experts are paid for our efforts.