william, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Major Home Appliance Technician Specialist Whirpool Certificate
13954826

My Maytag Neptune dryer wont start. It beeps when the power

My Maytag Neptune dryer won't start. It beeps when the power is on. Sometimes I can shut off the power and turn the power back on and it will work. the last time it did this it was the circut board, so I bought a new one and it still is doing the same thing. I checked the thermal fuses, bypassed the hi limit switch, cycling thermostat and thermistor. They all have continuity. The cycling thermostat sounds like it has something loose inside but has continuity and since I bypassed the high limit thermostat it should not be that. Any ideas?Thanks for any help you can give.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.
Does it beep 3 times?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes
Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.

Ok that was easy enough, you need a new door latch assembly the 3 beeps is a fault code for the door latch assembly. Dont worry about the cycling thermaststat its suppose to sound like that.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
after i said yes it beeped just once but most times it is 3 times
Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.

Ok i fully understand, but you still need a new door latch assembly, this is the only way that you are going to fix this like i mentioned earlier them 3 beeps is a fault code for the door latch.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I bypassed the door switch (hooked white wire to red wire). Still no luck still occationally beeps once,still won't start, still won't switch to time dry(initial problem)and won't start(initial problem)
Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.
Dont do it that way you will fry the board.

Electrically you would test it with a multi-meter. It should have no resistance when closed and infinite resistance when off.

Please post the model number

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
That's the way the switch is no resistance when closes And infinite resistance when open. Thebmoxle is a Neptune MDE5500AYQ
Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.
Whats the ohm readings?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
0
Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.
Sorry but 0 on both which is NC meaning normally closed and NO meaning normally open.
Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.
Also what was the ohm reading on the thermal fuse?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
As I recall they were also 0 on both counts think I'm calling it a night going to sleep on it I'll be intouch tomorrow
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
In addition to what was posted yesterday I checked the componants with a ohm meter the readings are as follows
Heating element 11.2 on the 200 scale
Thermal fuse on the heating ele .6 on the 200 scale
High limit thermostate 1.6 on the 200 scale
Thermal fuse on return duct .5 on the 200 scale
cycling thermostate .6 on the 200 scale
Thermistor 10.90 on the 20k scale
I also checked the overload protector for continuity it was ok.