william, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Major Home Appliance Technician Specialist Whirpool Certificate
13954826

I have a Maytag mav4755aww washer that is not working the

I have a Maytag mav4755aww washer that is not working: the tub will spin when empty, but with clothes & water in it won't agitate or spin. I opened it up & the motor assembly is very moveable - I can move it up & down several inches, and pivot it from side to side easily, so I'm thinking maybe the motor is not getting enough contact with the belt to spin the tub when it is full. Should the motor be fixed firmly in place so it doesn't move? I don't see any obvious place where a bolt is missing, but I haven't taken the whole thing apart yet.
Thanks!
Roger Bladen, Calgary, Ab
Category: Appliance
Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.

Grab the belt and move it in either direction about how much can you move it,unplug the washer before you do this?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It moves quite freely back & forth; if I move it in one direction it moves for several inches, then seems to catch & 'clunk', but will move through that point & keep moving after that.
Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.
Sorry thats not what i meant that clunk you hear is the clutch kicking in. Take the belt and move it in/out or left to right see what im getting at?
Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.
Have you done this yet?
Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.

Alls you need to do is to put a new belt on and you will be fine. The motor is suppose to be loose like that and not tight in one spot, the clunk you hear is the clutch kicking in. The washer agitates in one direction and spins in the other direction.

Please press the accept button this is how im paid for helping you today. Thanks.