Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I just bought a house and it had a Roper electric range in

I just bought a house and it had a Roper electric range in it which needed a power cord, so I bought and attached the power cord and the oven worked fine....so I thought!!!! After getting our first 2 electric bills ($445 and $515) we noticed that after using the oven, it would stay hot...even over night. I am pretty sure this is why my electric bill is through the roof....any suggestions?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

can you open the bottom drawer and see if theres a model # XXXXX there? is it the bottom element thats staying warm all the time ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

there is no tag in the drawer, and yes its the bottom element

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
okay the bottom element is either shorted or one of the wires going to it is grounded out, first unplug the range and look at the element real good. does it have any burn spots in it ? if not slide the range out and remove the back panel, look for a wires melted and shorted to the oven body, let me know what you find.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I dont see any burn spots or melted wires
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay do you have a voltmeter? Do you know how to check continuity and voltage? When you replaced the power cord how many wires were on the cord? The new cord? Three or four? If it is four where have you put the wires ? Red and black on the outside posts, white in the middle, and the green ground wire to the body?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
only 3 wires, red and black on the outsides and the white in the middle with what looks like a jumper to the ground
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay so this court is gray and flat you can't really mess up the wiring on it, it sounds like it's connected correctly. It has a ground strap to the body in the middle, you really need to get a voltmeter and check continuity on the bake element, it's really tough to say what's going on because the one thing I don't have a model number which restricts be severely on what I know about this range, I can help walk you through some tests if you can get a voltmeter, otherwise it's not something I can tell you with certainty the problem is, it's very difficult without a model number to see just was in this range for electrical components, if the top of the range lifts up look there for a tag, if you can't find a model number you may need to call a service technician to come out because it's not only wasting your electricity but it's also dangerous to have this heating overnight when you're not awake, if the short gets bad it could melt and start a fire, let me know what you think you can do for a voltmeter, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
no tag there either....how visible would a burn spot on the element be because I basically crawled in there with a flash light and there is a tiny spot where it looks like food may have burnt there but might also be just a small burn spot on the element. As for the voltage meter....I have one that kinda fell into my possession and hardly know how to use it.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay so you did find a small spot where it's burnt, ? I'd almost be willing to guess that is the issue, inside that element there is a rod that is actually the part that heats up, the outside is just a covering on the element so it's not a live wire outside the element begin be a very small spot that's burnt and be the issue, I'm going to give you a basic video on how to test the bake element, the element in the video I'm going to send you may not be exactly yours but they all test the same, the other thing you need to do is to tell you how to test continuity but you are also going to have to test from one of the connectors to the part that holds the element into the oven, to make sure it's not shorted to the outside of the element which is what I think happened, here's the link to show you how to test the element, http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Bake-Element/WB44K5012/1944#repairHelpVideoTabs without a model number that's about all I can do for you, thanks and best wishes, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.