Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a GE Profile fridge. The freezer cools okay, but the

Customer Question

I have a GE Profile fridge. The freezer cools okay, but the fridge doesn't. I posted this question on Sunday and was told to check the fan motor. It didn't seem to be receiving any voltage, but I must've been doing something wrong because now I get a reading of 24.7 when I set the meter to 200 AC volts and test it w/ the probes. At the time, it was thought I would need a new condenser fan motor and a new main circuit board. Both arrived today. Based on the 24.7 reading, are there any other tests I should run and is it still the condenser motor and the main circuit board?

Thank you in advance for your help!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

what is the part # XXXXX the fan motor you bought ? are you talking about the fan in the freezer?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The part number for the fan motor is WR84X10055. The part number for the main control board is WR55X10942.

It's a side by side fridge. The freezer is on the bottom. I took the back cover near the bottom off and tested the harness coming from the circuit board to the fan motor. Right next to the fan are the coils. Since I took the back cover off, I have not heard or seen the fan run that I know about. So...I think I'm testing the fan motor to the fridge.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
okay well the voltage for the motor is 11.3 DC volts, not AC voltage thats probably why you got a wrong reading before. so you are talking about the condenser fan. can you put your meter on DC volts and check it again?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I think it's the condenser fan. I tried it on DC and got a reading of about 11.6, which is very close to the 11.3 you've mentioned.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
thats good send the board back and replace the fan.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So that's telling me that the power coming from the board is good, right? And, because the fan hasn't been running, it's not cooling the coils, right? Is that what you're suggesting, Bryan? Thank you again!
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
is the compressor running ? is it hot, warm , or cold? is it vibrating?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
If the compressor is the roundish looking part that has the refrigerant labeled R134A on it than it is warm. It's definitely not cold. It wasn't vibrating when I just looked at it.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
okay thats good, is the temp in the freezer cold? what I mean does the freezer seem like its working correctly? is the fan in the freezer running ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
This started to happen either Saturday or Sunday. So that was obviously 4-5 days ago. Since then, everything in the freezer is still frozen. The freezer is set to 0 degrees and right now it's showing 10 degrees, but keeping everything frozen still. I'm guessing the difference between it's setting and it's actual temperature is because something with the fridge isn't obviously working (the fan, maybe?)??
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
is the fan in the freezer running ? is it just the fresh food section that isnt? is there any frost on the back panel inside the freezer behind the food?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes, the fan in the freezer definitely sounds like it's running when I open the freezer door. There is not any frost on the back panel inside the freezer behind the food. The back panel just looks like it always has -- smooth and white.

I haven't seen the fan for the fridge running. I kept it hooked up the first couple of days when the fridge stopped keeping temperature. After those couple of days, I just left it unplugged. If I plug it in now should it start spinning right away? If so, I'll give it a try.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
just put the fan in and you should be fine. I wouldn't waste the board however, send it back. thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK. I'll put the fan motor in. While I was waiting, I plugged it back in and nothing happened. The fan just sat there. Thank you, Bryan. Once I've confirmed it's working, I'll see to it that I accept your answer. You've been a great help!
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
no problem . sometimes you have to wait a few minutes for this to come back on once you plug it back in but I'm sure you will be fine, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK. I've installed it. It was fairly simple. It hasn't come back on yet, so I'll wait a few minutes and let you know.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Okay good just give it a little time because these boards need to reset once there unplugged and sometimes takes a few minutes to come back on,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The condenser fan still has started. It has been almost 90 minutes. It does sound like the refrigerator part is running, but I'm not sure.

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
okay do you mean the fan hasn't started? is the compressor running? is the fan in the freezer running ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes, the fan hasn't started. I haven't actually heard the compressor turn on and vibrate, but it's still warm. The fan in the freezer IS running.

Here's one thing: I disconnected the old motor. Before reconnecting the new motor, I tested the voltage again. It only tested to about 9.6, not the original 11.3 or so.

Also, the lights on the display that shows the temperature for the freezer and fridge are dim and sometimes go out. Not sure if that's related?
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
okay so the power is up and down, you will need to replace the board also. the transformer is weak on the board and not holding voltage, sorry. i was hoping you could just replace the fan.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Gotcha. At least I ordered the board to replace also. I'll go ahead and do that next and let you know what happens. I should be able to just replace the existing board with the new one without making any modifications, right? It's a OEM GE board, so I'm hoping that's the case, but just wanted to confirm.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
yeah this is the WR55x10942 will go right in. just read the instructions to be safe there are a few models that are listed that need one thermistor wire cut but its easy.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Right. This says eliminate thermistor wire in pin 2 of the J1 connector. But it looks like that's already been done on the pin itself. Is that possible?
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
yes don't worry about then.its only some models.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK. I'll let you know how it goes. Much thanks again, Bryan!
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

no problem , your doing great !

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Installed the board. Condenser fan kicked on right away. I just want to make sure it cools. I put it on "Turbo Cool"...whatever that is. I'll be up late watching the game, so once I'm sure I'm done, I'll click on Accept Answer.

Thanks again, and thanks for your patience with me.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
okay I'm getting off and watch the game too. love football ! thanks, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
You were a great help! It's taking a while for the fridge to cool down but overnight it went from 64 to about 50. So it's headed in the right direction.

Great game last night!
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
That's great ! And yes it was a great game ! Can't believe the kickoff returns for touchdowns ! I wouldn't have expected that with the new kickoff rules from the 35 yard line, where are you from ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Baltimore, MD. Did you get the Accept Answer. I wasn't sure if I did it right.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
Yes I got your accept thank you. Baltimore that's where my daughter lives, I live in Tennessee right now but I'm from Massachusetts lived all my life 20 miles from the stadium, so I guess you know who I root for ! LOL. Anyway Baltimore always gives us a hard time if I remember correctly they knocked us out the playoffs a couple years ago embarrassingly too !. Let me know if this doesn't continue to come down to temperature and doesn't get cold enough, you have 30 days to reply if you have any other issues and I will be glad to come back and help you, have a great football season and thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Much thanks again!
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
No problem, and thank you again, , Bryan