Alan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ years in the appliance repair field.

Subject GE profile dryer/Model # XXXXX I own the

Subject: GE profile dryer/Model # XXXXX

I own the subject dryer and I have had it for about 3 years. My wife has been telling me that it takes a very long time to dry clothes in it. In addition, last night we were awoken by a loud noise from the dryer and there was a metallic smelling odor emitted from the dryer. Do you think there is some lint build up in the back of the dryer or exhauset? Is it the heating element? What do you think the problem is with this dryer? Please advise.

Thomas W. Dussault [email protected]
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Alan replied 5 years ago.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be helping you today. Please remember, I do not get paid for my time and expertise until you accept. First off, the most likely problem with it taking to long to dry is a restricted vent. That can cause the heating element to fail, and could cause a smell like you had. Check your venting first and make sure it is clear all the way to the outside, and then you will need to check your heating element.