Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

How do I determine ID info on a Kitchenaid side by side when

How do I determine ID info on a Kitchenaid side by side when internal tag is unreadable
It may have been built in approx 2005
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

Hi,Welcome to Just Answer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX forward to helping you today.

What seems to be the issue with this refrigerator ? The model number tag is really the only place to get the information from but if you're having a problem with this I may be able to help you without a model number, does the refrigerator have an issue?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Unit was transported approx 45min on back
Plugged in approx 4 hrs after upright position
Produced cold air inside
Approx 10 Hrs later checked an not producing cold air
All lights,inside control panel & rear lower cooling fan operating
Compressor not running
Local tech did quick check & said control module/board was prob(don't know integrity of tech)
I pulled & opened module
Both fuses on board are good,I don't have ability to test board or confirm Tech's Diagnosis
Found the ID tag inside ref side but all print is bleached out & unreadable
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
do you have a volt meter?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I do have a multimeter
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
On the side of the compressor is the relay (start relay) it plugs onto the side of the compressor, this should be two wires going to it possibly a blue in a red wire I'm not sure on yours because I don't have the full model# XXXXX you need to do is check for 120 V going to that relay, you need to see whether the board is actually sending power to the relay to start the compressor, if it's getting 120 V it's gonna be one of two things, the relays either bad or the compressor has failed, like I said I can't be sure what you're really looks like or what color wires go to it take a look and tell me what you see on the side of the compressor usually on the left side when looking at it.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I had to reinstall the control board and containment enclosure to test as per your suggestion
After installation, energized, and found that compressor was running
My guess is possible loose connection or other issue that was rectified with reassembly
Did not test as it was working
Have run iy for 2 days and adjusted control settings with everything appearing to function properly
Thanks for your help and back to the original question as far as year and spec ID is it possible to obtain that info any other way?
If not is it possible to send you a photo for your best guess?
How do I indicate that I'm satisfied and to have you paid

Randy [email protected]
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
well randy thats good to hear it running, you can attach a picture using the paper clip icon on the top of the post board, I'll try if you can send it, to indicate you are satisfied with my answer please press the green accept button, thanks Bryan